How long before a labrador puppy will stop biting?

8DBD09C3-40D4-4FE7-8D0B-00E72EA706EC.gif

Please don’t hit her that can mess her up physically and mentally

If you reach your limit grab her by the skin of her throat below her chin and gently lift her front paws off the ground and hold her up there for a minute and look her in the eye and tell her “no bite.” After a few lifts she will catch on.

They hate being held like that by the throat and it teaches them who is boss without the hitting. They call it submitting them. In a pack the alpha dog grabs the other dogs by the throat and holds them.

She’s teething that’s a big part of it. You’ve got to keep her in rawhide toys to help her cut in her teeth.

Puppies teeth by chewing on everything they can.

Here’s a feller that grabs the throat and puts them on their back. It’s very similar to grabbing the throat and lifting their front legs off the ground up and holding them. I was taught to grab and lift. With two hands and practice you can even do it to a great big mean dog that wants to bite.

Chewables to help with any teething. To deter biting, I grab the lower jaw and place my thumb on back of the tongue. Not hard, but firm enough where it pins the tongue. Same time, I’m saying No or Ow firmly.

She’ll retreat immediately to get free and may return to continue playing. When she does, just repeat, and maybe hold a little longer. It doesn’t harm them but, it aggravates the piss out of them. It’s always worked for me.

Interesting. I used to go the opposite, I'd clamp their muzzle closed while saying 'no' in a firm voice.

That being said, a teething puppy is going to bite something. I would stock up on chew toys and such. The key is to let them know that it's OK to bite their toys, but not their people.

Our pound rescue snapped at me once early on when I got too close to her "treat". I did the neck grab thing and she's not growled or snapped since. We're lucky she absolutely loves children and has never shown any propensity to bite. When she was 6 months she was a little mouthy but 439 chew toys later (we had to buy a box) she's grown out of that. Don't give up on your pup.

I had a female Rottweiler that snapped at my fingers and drew blood when she was about 2 years old. I picked her up and bit the **** out of her. It worked. I also had a male Rottweiler rescue that growled and snapped at me over a bone. Once. I picked him up by his throat and we had an eye to eye come to Jesus talk. He never snapped or growled at me again. But, had another male that I got as an adult and nothing seemed to work w/ him. So, I guess every dog is different? Our dog trainer taught us to roll them over on their side/back w/ an arm over their throat/upper body to hold them down and rub their feet. Apparently that is a submission thing.

Back
Top Bottom