• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many musicians do we have?

Piping at Ft. Louisburg, Nova Scotia.jpg

Piper, penny-whistle and singer

Last edited:
You can play banjo but can't figure out guitar? I'm no string player, but, I thought that if you learn scales on a necked instrument, you had them all figured out. No?

No. Guitar and bass are on strung in fifths, banjo and mamandolins are strung differently though I havent reasearched what they are strung. Just because you can play a flute doesnt mean you can play a sax or clarinet, same concept. Fingering is completely different. Most guitar players can fake their way around a bass but not all bass players can do guitar

No. Guitar and bass are on strung in fifths, banjo and mamandolins are strung differently though I havent reasearched what they are strung. Just because you can play a flute doesnt mean you can play a sax or clarinet, same concept. Fingering is completely different. Most guitar players can fake their way around a bass but not all bass players can do guitar

That's why I have to sick to harp (harmonica). If you pick up the right one, you're in key. No scales and complicated crap to figure out.

Sorry about the uneducated question.

My grandfather used to say that everybody is uneducated at one time, the only way to be educated is to ask a question..

His version of there is no such thing as a stupid question I suppose :)

I would never consider myself a musician. That would mean I could make sounds that were mellow on purpose. I have owned a guitar for over 20 years and attempted to teach myself to play. Then kids came along and I placed it in the corner for 14 years. now that I'm in my mid 40s I have picked it back up and with the advent of the internet have learned a few things. My wife says it a midlife crisis. I consider it a good option for a midlife crisis compared to the possible alternatives. I would love to have some of you more experienced true musicians give me some informal lessons sometime.

Back
Top Bottom