• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

Most deer hunters.... (not most active chatters on gun and hunting sites like this)... could probably not hit an 8" wide paper plate shooting from the unsupported standing position at 100 yards. One shot, cold bore. Most would miss. Maybe after taking 3 shots they'd hit it once. That's my bet and prediction. I don't know how we'd ever prove it. But it's based on what I see when I shoot at public WMA outdoor ranges.
I could easily do this but the gun I am using is insane and not a cheapie

Glad this old thread came back to life...it started me to thinking. The OP seemed to be making the point that hunters are obsessed
with sub-moa rifles when most of them are poor shots offhand at 100yds. I'll buy that. I would counter, however, that sub-moa rifles are a good thing, especially when taking shots at longer ranges (200yds+). If you are hunting the thick GA woods then any pie-plate lever gun will do...but if you are hunting South GA bean fields, power lines or Kansas rolling plains...you better have a sub-moa rifle.
The thread got me to reminiscing over the last 45 years of my deer hunting experience. The first big buck I shot at was right at dark in a swamp...from a tree stand. Hit him but never found him. From there I took many deer in Georgia in the woods...can't remember another miss.
When I got in my 40's and could afford it I got a chance to hunt out west...Kansas, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, etc.
I quickly learned the value of a sub-moa rifle. My best recollection in those 15 or 20 years of western hunting is two misses...both difficult shots in mountainous terrain. I can't remember exactly but I know I have taken at least 50 animals out west that were all one-shot kills...not bragging (maybe a little) but just the facts, ma'am. Out of all of those animals only 3 were shot off-hand at a moving target...one of the misses was an off-hand shot. I don't consider myself a spectacular shooter...I'm sure many members here would best me in a long-range precision rifle match. But in my opinion there is shooting match accuracy and then there is hunting accuracy. I agree with some of the above posts that encourage hunters to not fool around waiting on the perfect shot at big bucks. I have tried that a few times...and the buck is still out there. My biggest trophies were taken when I literally shot the deer within a second or two after seeing him...both 250 - 350 yd shots at last light...one while chasing a doe.
I think one of the reasons for not having more misses is that I passed up many shots when I knew that my crosshairs were not stable enough to ensure an ethical shot...especially at longer ranges.
Thanks for letting an old man ramble...and I will add one thing for you young whippersnappers that will add to your long range shot success. Get some shooting sticks and a monopod. And practice with them. 70-80% of my deer taken at ranges over 100 yards were taken with shooting sticks from a sitting position...the rest were taken prone using my backpack as a rest. And when using shooting sticks find the sweet spot of tension when leaning them forward just a bit...makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom