• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

I love to sit 2 liter coke bottles at 100 and have people shoot off han,they normally become very irritated.

I once shot at a doe with a Winchester 30/30 and it would look at me Then continue forraging in the snow.
After the fifth shot she became frustrated with me and trotted off slowly.
I checked
My rifle later and saw that my
Scope was way off
By 12".
My fault for not sighting that rifle in pre season...... Lesson learned.

Wishful thinking

In your dreams sport, 2 liter coke bottle all day long. It's called practice, on the range and dry firing tens of thousands of times. More than a few here have seen it "all day long". Just practice like a pro and someday it may come true for you..

Last edited:
Yeah, good shooters can bounce empty 12-oz drink cans with open-sighted pistols at 50 yards, so why is a big and tall 2-liter bottle not a good target at 100 yards?

An NRA 50-yard slow fire pistol target has an aiming black 8" wide. But that includes the 8-ring, and really good pistol shots don't go that far out very much. The 9 ring is about 4" wide. So if you can hold a 4" group at 50 yards, you can get 95% perfect scores in competition.
Double the distance, and a shooter of that same skill level is looking at an 8" group at 100 yards. That would correspond to about a 90% probability of hitting a bottle that's 5" wide and 12" tall (I'm guessing the dimensions).

But "all day long" ? This I'd like to see. Video or it didn't happen. Let's see you do 9 out of 10. Post it up.

I wonder how many of us could reliably handle this kind of shot:

Rabid dog 50 yards away. Offhand (unsupported standing) shot from a cold bore with a major-caliber rifle, iron sights.
With a gun you haven't fired in a months or years (we all have such a gun, don't we?)
One shot only, no warm-up. Kill zone maybe 5" diameter. So "minute of pie plate" would suffice.
6 m.o.a. accuracy would make this an easy and certain shot.

My son and I were shooting this weekend with our 22's. At 30 yards, he set up some spent shells and casings. First row was 12 ga. shells, second row was some 7.62x39 cases and some 45LC cases.

He was prone with a bipod on a Savage MKII. I was shooting offhand with an HK91 with a .22 kit. He set everything up, took a couple shots and was spotting his misses to make adjustments, so me being the wiseas$ that I am, said "let me see if I can hit one. I popped the 12 gauge shell off into the woods downrange. He got a little irritated, so to make matters worse, I said "let me see if I can hit an AK case." I popped it first shot too. I was done and he was once again convinced that I'm an awesome shot. I'll let him think that. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just good at lemmeseeificans.

Back
Top Bottom