• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

My son and I were shooting this weekend with our 22's. At 30 yards, he set up some spent shells and casings. First row was 12 ga. shells, second row was some 7.62x39 cases and some 45LC cases.

He was prone with a bipod on a Savage MKII. I was shooting offhand with an HK91 with a .22 kit. He set everything up, took a couple shots and was spotting his misses to make adjustments, so me being the wiseas$ that I am, said "let me see if I can hit one. I popped the 12 gauge shell off into the woods downrange. He got a little irritated, so to make matters worse, I said "let me see if I can hit an AK case." I popped it first shot too. I was done and he was once again convinced that I'm an awesome shot. I'll let him think that. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just good at lemmeseeificans.
My son is 12 and HATES loud noises and therefore shooting. For some inexplicable reason he decided he wanted to go shooting last week and in particular a revolver. I took a Smith model 63 and a variety of quiet rounds. He's very small and thin. I set up an empty water bottle (the small 16oz size) and backed off 7 yards. He had never shot a pistol before. From completely free handed he counted down "3, 2, 1.... pow!". One shot one hit. I was impressed. I backed him off to about 12 yards. One shot one hit. I then backed him off to over 20 yards (I hate I didn't measure it) and one shot one hit. I was absolutely stunned. I told him I couldn't do it and he thought I was kidding. I said "give it here." One shot, one miss. He then got much more 'normal' as you'd expect some one his size with zero experience to be with more misses than hits but he started out like a house of fire. I'm still convinced he's a future Olympic shooter in training. ;)

Two Liter = key word. More than one has seen me do it over and over on a plaster owl about the same size in addition to drilling steel over and over at the same range. Not that big of a deal as most dedicated (or formerly in my case) shooters know.

Last edited:
Too much thinking going on by trying not to miss, I suppose.

I took an Irish friend shooting. He has a rifle, but had never shot a pistol. I took a few different ones, from .22, 9mm, 40 and 44 mag.
He wanted to start with the 44 Ruger BH. I had a target set out at the 25 yard line. He took aim and dropped the hammer and it was a dead on, centered bullseye. I couldn't shoot that pistol for crap.

Newbs.

1.)
...active chatters on gun and hunting sites like this...could...not hit an 8"... from.. unsupported standing position at 100 yards. One shot, cold bore....Maybe after taking 3 shots they'd hit it once....That's my bet and prediction....

2.)
I'd bet it would be worse and leave with house money. ;)

3.)
ZERO of them....

Au contreir, gentlemen. Perhaps there are indeed, more! Considering an MOA is 1/60th of a degree or, 1.047 in. @ 100yds, which is given as a "traditional" distance, not necessarily written in stone so, in theory at 50yds it would be .0523 making the shot even easier. Shooters abound with the ability to accomplish this simple feat using a true moa rifle however, most choose not to be braggadocios. So, ya' see.... it ain't braggin' if they can do it! I'd leave my $ at home!

1.)

2.)

3.)

Au contreir, gentlemen. Perhaps there are indeed, more! Considering an MOA is 1/60th of a degree or, 1.047 in. @ 100yds, which is given as a "traditional" distance, not necessarily written in stone so, in theory at 50yds it would be .0523 making the shot even easier. Shooters abound with the ability to accomplish this simple feat using a true moa rifle however, most choose not to be braggadocios. So, ya' see.... it ain't braggin' if they can do it! I'd leave my $ at home!
Actually, shooting half an inch at 50 yards is no easier that one inch at 100 yards. Other than effects by atmospheric conditions.

1.)

2.)

3.)

He said "most deer hunters". I'll stand by my prediction.

One problem with shooters who like to talk about how good they are with guns is that they cite their best group ever as an example of what they're capable of.

I once got a 0.3" group at 50 yards with a Mini-14 in the woods, standing up, leaning against a tree and supporting the gun on a low limb.
Three shots -- two of them touching, and one maybe 1/4" separated.

Now was I, on that day, really a " 0.6 minute-of-angle" shooter?
Was my 181-series Mini-14 loaded with Hansen soft point ammo?
No, and No.
I got lucky.

But other people will ignore the hundreds of bigger groups they shot with that gun and cite that one special group as proof of how good they are (or their equipment is).

I think my group was lucky. I probably had that barrel at least an in inch out of alignment for one of those 3 shots, but the bullet just happened to dip and dive and land in the right place.

There are called flyers, sure. If any of us shoot 10 groups at the range, we should throw out the worst 2 or 3 due to obvious errors we made.
But can you throw out the 9 worst ones and keep only the best?

And should you never discount (not consider) the best group? If you can have a fluke, an extra wide group due to back luck, then why don't we recognize that we can have suspiciously-good groups, too?

I wonder how many of us could reliably handle this kind of shot:

Rabid dog 50 yards away. Offhand (unsupported standing) shot from a cold bore with a major-caliber rifle, iron sights.
With a gun you haven't fired in a months or years (we all have such a gun, don't we?)
One shot only, no warm-up. Kill zone maybe 5" diameter. So "minute of pie plate" would suffice.
6 m.o.a. accuracy would make this an easy and certain shot.
Without your prescription glasses and with zero recoil, no less. LOL

soup can at 80 yards all day long, off handed with scoped rifle
80 yards is the longest shot in my woods
used to do it with iron sights, cataracts, especially right eye makes it near impossible to see front sight

20180126_180053.jpg

Back
Top Bottom