How many test rounds?

Ok- been doing some reading. Before I say anything about load data, I'll say you should do your own research before you decide what to load. You're putting an explosive metal cup behind a charge of gunpowder and the plan is to set it off in between your palms... Do it right. Most bullet and powder manufacturers publish their data on their websites and books.

First off 9mm: I'm seeing very few loads for Red Dot. Speer published data for a 125 grain lead round nose bullet- 3.3 to 3.6 grains with speeds from 888 to 1004 feet per second. Sierra published data for a 90 grain bullet- 3.8 to 4.9 grains with speeds between 1150 and 1250 feet per second. That's all I've got on 9mm. Blue Dot appears to be really common for 9mm in most all bullet weights. However Blue Dot is down at number 33 on the burn rate chart I have- Red Dot is number 4 (Number 1 is the hottest).

Second, .45ACP: Couple more recipes here, but still not a lot. Alliant published data showing maximum loads for different bullet weights. They show 5.0 grains for a 230 grain FMJ bullet with a velocity of 910 FPS (feet per second). They also show Red Dot at a max of 4.0 grains for a lead round nose (LRN) bullet at 810 FPS. And 4.5 grains for a 240 grain JHP (jacketed hollow point) at 770 FPS. Note all of those are maximum loads- don't ever start at a maximum load, work up to it and monitor your brass/gun for signs of over pressure. Speer published data for Red Dot between 4.1 and 4.5 grains for a 200 grain lead SWC bullet (semi wad cutter), 4.7 to 5.1 grains for a 230 grain LRN bullet, 4.5 to 4.9 grains for a 185 grain TMJ bullet, and 4.8 to 5.3 grains for a 230 grain TMJ bullet.

I'm looking for the .38 special book-

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts...Cmax:cool:

Back
Top Bottom