• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much do you talk with your neighbors?

I was close with some neighbors in my old subdivision. Now we live on a 16acre farm in the country, my neighbors are far apart. The only one in my area that knows about my preps would be my dad.

I don't and they can't, I refuse to learn Spanish to speak with illegals, or legals living near me. They don't speak English and I don't speak Spanish, other than Taco, Burrito, Uno, dos, trace, piñata, that's all I need to know. They are both within 200 yards on either side so the neighborhood I've lived in 40 years has been invaded by the Spanish and I am the Alamo.

I have been communicating with some friends in the Houston area. I am amazed how many ran out of gas, water and food just days after the storms hit, even when their home was not flooded. I have queried some of my neighbors and am amazed that they continue to have the same complacent ideas that will leave them in the same situation should a storm ravage our little corner of the world (Irma anyone?). It bothers me that they consistently give me the same old line of, "everything will be back to normal in a couple of days."

I have told them that they should think about having at least a couple weeks of food. FEMA recommends up to three weeks of food and water, according to some sources. I asked them how they will clean themselves, dispose of waste and such and pointed out that we have "boil water alerts" every few months somewhere in this city. I've pointed out the empty shelves and no gas signs in Texas as reasons they may want to reconsider their course of action. I am careful to only admit to having a "Storm Supply", so that they won't be too inclined to try to treat my like a food closet or gas station.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is running into the same level of concern among their neighbors.
all mine speak ebonics, so cant understand them, bill

Back
Top Bottom