• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much information are you comfortable sharing with neighbors?

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
Concerning preparedness...SOCOMs post about working with neighbors in a coordinated manner stands out in stark contrast with our family's situation.
We are not in a rural area but not in a metropolitan area either. I have friends in the surrounding area but quite frankly, most of my neighbors I don't know if I would trust in a SHTF situation.

What are any advantages/disadvantages that you would see sharing info on your preparations?

I'd be glad to help them, but not reveal too much. Isn't one of the main purposes in life to share and to help the neighbor (within reason)?

Last edited:
If you did not know 100% for a fact you could trust them, I would not share any info. If something were
to happen, your situation may be life or death. Are you willing to take that chance based on an assumption
they would be trustworthy? I have spent considerable time building relationships with people that I know I
can trust. Those folks I would trust my life with. In a bad event, even a simple matter of food storage would
be life or death so I would share no information with anybody I was not completely comitted to. In a bad situation,
it is not as simple as a start over with someone else kind of thing. Second chances might not come at all.

Besides, you can always find out about people after the fact. There nothing like a disaster to bring out the
true sides of people that you didn't know they had.

The advantage is you might gain some valuable assets. The disadvantage is that you may be giving
them their first order of business when SHTF.

I'd be glad to help those who don't mind helping themselves--or those that can't help themselves. But all neighbors fit the biblical definition of neighbors.
That's the question I guess.
Could be any one of these:
a) Your neighbors know you have extra food, supplies and firearms. One of them or their kids tells a friend or acquaintance and the next thing you know, you're getting robbed.
b) Your neighbors are cool with the idea, start doing a little 'preparatin themselves...
c) you talk to your neighbors about being prepared; they think you're a nut until TSHTF and they show up on your porch wanting supplies. Worse yet when you don't have enough to give them without your family doing without, you've got trouble brewing...

It's a lot to ponder..

I don't share to much info, but I do have one neighbor that I have been friends with for 13 years and he is a little worried about the direction this country is headed. He has never owned a gun and wants to gear up when SHTF, so I walked him through the process of getting a carry permit and tomorrow we are going shooting to see what kind of pistol he feel comfortable with. Then at least I know of one of my neighbors will have my back. Other than that, I don't divulge to much info.

That's why I think it's important to try and get to know your neighbors. Invite some of them to a cook out or something. If you think your neighbors are not the kind of folks you could get to know or trust then don't. Best you could hope for in a SHTF scenario that doesn't last more than 2 or 3 weeks. If you thought it might drag on longer than that I would have a plan in place to go and group up with family or friends who live in a more rural setting.

Chances are it wont come to such an event anytime soon, but who knows. If there is a total break down in our nation you can bet things will go from bad to worse in short order......starting in more densely populated areas, cities, metropolitan areas, suburbs, and then once all of the resources have been exhausted there will be an exodus of desperate people moving from out from these cities in search of the basic elements needed to live. The shear number of people will be staggering. These people will have nothing to lose and everything to gain, laws will not matter anymore and the only way to survive will be in large groups working together and pooling your resources.

I know, crazy talk.........but crap happens. If you dont believe me read the history books. Empires rise and fall, so will this one.

EDIT: BTW, there are several neighbors in the several mile radius we've talked about blocking off that have not been brought into this plan for different reasons. Many would think I was a freakin' lunatic paranoid weirdo. Several are sorry ass people who I have no intention of discussing any of this info with. I dont live in Mayberry and not everyone is trustworthy.

The neighbors I have talked with are like minded people I've come to know through my years of dealing with guns and what not. That's the best way of meeting people who will be on the same page with you, immerse yourself into this lifestyle by hanging out at gun stores, gun show, shooting clubs, shooting ranges, forums such as these and training classes when possible. Before you know it you'll have connections and a posse to be reckoned with!

Last edited:
Can't disagree with any of that logic. I prefer to know all my neighbors. I would gladly help one in need.
But when it comes to them knowing all my preparations, I draw the line. You are correct that the only
way to survive is to form groups that work with each other and defend each other.

Most of my neighbors are of good moral character but I know a few that wouldn't have any problem
taking someone out if they were inconvenienced! Those are the ones that are kept OUT of the loop.

Most of my neighbors are of good moral character but I know a few that wouldn't have any problem
taking someone out if they were inconvenienced! Those are the ones that are kept OUT of the loop.

For sure, same here. I've got a few that would have to be kicked out of the "compound" for the good of the group. We would do our best to mirror our constitution on a small scale to ensure fairness such as majority votes and appointed committees that would oversee different aspects of daily living. Committees would represent things like; agriculture, medical, education, security, building and planning, etc. So if someone wasn't pulling their weight and refused to get with the program which in turned compromised the safety and security of the group, the committee would vote on whether to keep em' or send em' packing. Definitely some hard choices would have to be made, but were talking survival.

The vast majority of my neighbors will bring nothing more to the table than hungry mouths to feed in a true SHTF situation.

Check your frig, shelves & cupboards, how long would the food there last if the power goes out and the grocery stores are closed?? The average household doesn't have enough clean water stored to last 3 days or food saved up to last a week without going to the store. You think the stores will be open with stocked shelves when TSHTF? Not likely.

Find local gardeners & farmers in you area and spend some time there learning how to grow food and raise animals. The pick your own vegetable/fruit gardens are a great place to start. Learn how to feed yourself and your family instead of listening to the rambo wannabes at gun stores that survival strategy consist of 2000 rounds of ammo for their AR, a weeks worth of MRE's and 5 gallons of water.

Having a method to defend yourself and your family is absolutely necessary but if you can't feed yourself and your family then guess what, you're in the same situation as the starving masses from the inner city.

Thats words to live by.
Ammo and guns only go so far .
You halfto be good with a growing and storing .

Quick story.
We were poppin off some fireworks for the 4th in our yard and the nabor came by and said last night we were lighting off some pre fireworks and some fell over in your yard and your truck was not their so we did not go over and pick up the mess beacuse we know you have guns.
We dont talk with them at all so I dont know why they would say that.
I hung 2 deer in back yard last bow season but thats all I could think .
I only told him thanks for stoping by and telling me nothing more nothing less.
You can tell he wanted more conversation about my guns but I only told him I bow hunt.
But I and wife know diffrent.
Now I guess Y'all do to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom