How much is lowball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I consider a lowball offer...

If someone posts something at a really good price, like a $400 Smith 686...and someone comes along and offers $350 knowing fully well it's already priced 2-300 below fair market price. That's what I consider low ball...and well worthy of ridicule. But really, what's the harm in asking?

If someone lists a used Glock 22 for 500 bucks, any offer over 300 is a fair offer, not a low ball. but a $300 offer on a like new or well kept Glock 21 I would consider low ball. While all Glocks were created equal in quality, not so in value. The market is flooded with model 22s due to cop usage. Nothing against the gun, but they aren't worth as much as others even though they are just as good. But people here still tend to think all Glocks are 500 dollars especially if a cheap black hawk holster is thrown in. So, to me it has nothing to do with a percentage of "asking price". It's based on whether the asking price was fair to begin with.

I have seen items that I would really like to own but they are priced 25 percent over what can buy new. Hesitate to make an offer as it would be considered "lowball". I agree, lowball is difficult to define.

If something you like is 25% higher on here than new in the store just go buy it new, support the local businesses. I make offers on stuff all the time, sometimes they counter sometimes they tell me to **** off. I get crickets a good bit also. Doesn't bother me a bit. Some folks are attention seekers on here and list items they never intend on selling.

I sell a lot on eBay. I continually get people emailing me offers (even though I don't normally use the best offer option.)
The most recent person offered $40 for a new holster that normally sells for $85 that I have listed for $65. I declined, so he offered $41, then $42. Each time I told him it was a fantastic price, and the price was not negotiable. At that point, since it takes a few minutes each time to view and respond to each message, I went ahead and added him to my blocked member list.

Now the real dirtbags are on Craigslist. I sold a guy some stuff yesterday. We agreed on the price and agreed to deliver it. I gave him a really good deal. One of the items was listed at $30 and I gave him a 50% discount since he bought several more costly items. When I delivered, he claimed he didn't have all the money and shorted me $4. I just chalked it up to Craigslist and moved on.

Most guns sold here have a paper free premium attached, hence the price.

I sell a lot on eBay. I continually get people emailing me offers (even though I don't normally use the best offer option.)
The most recent person offered $40 for a new holster that normally sells for $85 that I have listed for $65. I declined, so he offered $41, then $42. Each time I told him it was a fantastic price, and the price was not negotiable. At that point, since it takes a few minutes each time to view and respond to each message, I went ahead and added him to my blocked member list.

Now the real dirtbags are on Craigslist. I sold a guy some stuff yesterday. We agreed on the price and agreed to deliver it. I gave him a really good deal. One of the items was listed at $30 and I gave him a 50% discount since he bought several more costly items. When I delivered, he claimed he didn't have all the money and shorted me $4. I just chalked it up to Craigslist and moved on.

Most guns sold here have a paper free premium attached, hence the price.
Wow.

What I consider a lowball offer...

If someone posts something at a really good price, like a $400 Smith 686...and someone comes along and offers $350 knowing fully well it's already priced 2-300 below fair market price. That's what I consider low ball...and well worthy of ridicule. But really, what's the harm in asking?

If someone lists a used Glock 22 for 500 bucks, any offer over 300 is a fair offer, not a low ball. but a $300 offer on a like new or well kept Glock 21 I would consider low ball. While all Glocks were created equal in quality, not so in value. The market is flooded with model 22s due to cop usage. Nothing against the gun, but they aren't worth as much as others even though they are just as good. But people here still tend to think all Glocks are 500 dollars especially if a cheap black hawk holster is thrown in. So, to me it has nothing to do with a percentage of "asking price". It's based on whether the asking price was fair to begin with.

Ton of people go to gun stores and don't do their research and pay $600 OTD for their G22's and G27's not knowing any better. When it comes time to move on from those guns listing it at $500 seems like a good price for someone. This is buyers market right now, lots of GREAT deals sit for days, I bet folks are taking those "lowball" offers if they really want to sell.

Armslist is just as bad. I put up Dan Wesson RZR 10mm for sale at a very good $1000 firm. A guy contacted me and we talked and agreed to meet. I said price was set and fair. He told me he owned a dealership in Buford (GM or something like that). I proceeded to meet him at some fancy restaurant. He pulls up in a Hummer (The Hummer) that was completely redone very nicely. Guy is obviously loaded with cash looking at his attire and vehicle. So I showed him my Dan Wesson, he looks at it, pulls out a paper or two with 3 Gun broker auctions where the guns were listed for $799 or less. Mind you that's the starting bid. And then tells me he's willing to give me $800. Because "that's about what they just sold for recently".

I closed the case, and walked off without saying a word.

Last edited:
Armslist is just as bad. I put up Dan Wesson RZR 10mm for sale at a very good $1000 firm. A guy contacted me and we talked and agreed to meet. I said price was set and fair. He told me he owned a dealership in Buford (GM or something like that). I proceeded to meet him at some fancy restaurant. He pulls up in a Hummer (The Hummer) that was completely redone very nicely. Guy is obviously loaded with cash looking at his attire and vehicle. So I showed him my Dan Wesson, he looks at it, pulls out a paper or two with 3 Gun broker auctions where the guns were listed for $799 or less. Mind you that's the starting bid. And then tells MD he"s willing to give me $800.

I would have done the same thing. But I would have posted a thread about it on the ODT.

Armslist is just as bad. I put up Dan Wesson RZR 10mm for sale at a very good $1000 firm. A guy contacted me and we talked and agreed to meet. I said price was set and fair. He told me he owned a dealership in Buford (GM or something like that). I proceeded to meet him at some fancy restaurant. He pulls up in a Hummer (The Hummer) that was completely redone very nicely. Guy is obviously loaded with cash looking at his attire and vehicle. So I showed him my Dan Wesson, he looks at it, pulls out a paper or two with 3 Gun broker auctions where the guns were listed for $799 or less. Mind you that's the starting bid. And then tells MD he"s willing to give me $800.

Lol I'm waiting to hear back from a guy on armslist who says he's buying my KSG, all of a sudden he's vanished....

Lol I'm waiting to hear back from a guy on armslist who says he's buying my KSG, all of a sudden he's vanished....
Yeah it is alright to back out on a deal but it is polite to at least say to the seller you are doing it. Leaving a seller hanging so he cant accept other offers is BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom