• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to fly a P-51 Mustang from startup to shut down

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score

Great tutorial from Kermit Weeks with an early P-51C model. I met Kermit last year at an aerobatic competition when he flew down in a 1931 Sikorsky flying boat. Really nice guy and has a ton of experience flying vintage airplanes. Man I would love to fly a P-51 someday. Most beautiful airplane in the history of aviation!

I agree. The sexiest plane ever.

I think some of the early straight-wing jet fighters were sexier. In particular the Navy's F9 Panther, I believe, has the best looks of any military plane that's ever flown.

But I admit that it is underpowered and its performance is barely better than the World War II era Mustangs, Thunderbolts, and Corsairs.

401D4057-2CF9-4D0F-A52B-6F7EA1453F00.jpeg

I agree. The sexiest plane ever. When I was a tech up at Charlotte, I used to have to go to Concord airport about once a month. If the Roush hangar was open, I would go in and drool on his P-51.

The P-51 was widely used in air racing after the war so fortunately there are still quite a few of them in the air compared to other warbirds. There are a few places that you could go to get checked out in one and I have enough experience with vintage tail draggers that I think I could transition pretty quickly. Flight time isn't cheap though, about $1,500 an hour last I checked. Like everything else in aviation, all it takes is money.

I think some of the early straight-wing jet fighters were sexier. In particular the Navy's F9 Panther, I believe, has the best looks of any military plane that's ever flown.

But I admit that it is underpowered and its performance is barely better than the World War II era Mustangs, Thunderbolts, and Corsairs.

View attachment 6218173

For early jet fighters it's hard to beat the sleek lines of the MiG 17. There are quite a few of those still flying as well. Last I checked the going rate for a decent one was about $200-300k. I've read that it's a beautiful airplane to fly but has some snappy stall characteristics that can get you into trouble if you aren't careful.

avmig15_2_01.jpg

I like the noise that inertial starter planes make.

The only P-26 Pea shooter still flying in the world.

I love the sound of the inertial starter on a Messerschmitt BF109 too. That Daimler Benz inverted V12 just sounds menacing. Even better to see it with the swastika still painted on the tail like it should be.

First time I visited Fantasy of Flight this is the aircraft he demonstrated for the crowd. It had just come back from its annual.

P-38 Lightning gets my vote for sexiest fighter of wwii.

And I swear I must've been a downed airman rescued by a PBY Catalina because she gets my vote for sexiest flying boat.

Sexiest airliner goes to the Lockheed Constellation, hands down, no discussion. Will fight over this...

Back
Top Bottom