• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to help mental struggles?

Maybe he could also try looking into Veterans 3 Gun. Its as non-profit for Veterans to help them get into shooting sports and connects them with other veterans. Just another thought to help connect him with people locally who know what he's going through too.

https://veterans3gun.org/

I was in the same boat as the OP trying to support a friend. One thing that ended up helping in that period was getting him in touch with an organization that helps vets (- this one being specifically for wounded vets in TX.) The organization ended up sponsoring him to go on a get together with other wounded vets. Getting to meet and hang out with those folks helped reassure him that there were people who could understand him and gave him some additional support network by keeping in touch with some of them afterward.

Edit to add: The sponsored meetup in this example involved various cool activities, nothing like an AA meeting Bypass Bypass , but I see your point.

I don't like being bugged about my issues. Let him be. Not everyone wants to be coddled. I have no interest in AA meetings for PTSD either.

Then again do what you like if it makes you feel better.

Edit: Just make sure the VA knows about it. The VA has always been good to me.

If he just got out there’s definitly a culture shock, especially if he had just gotten back from a deployment too. Time helps most with that adjustment. Some of us take longer than others.

Prayer and my bible helps with the other stuff, the effects of soldiers heart.

I agree with Bypass Bypass for me it’s a personal thing, and I don’t like to be asked about it or shuffled into groups formed for it. I can handle it and it’s mine to handle.

Eventually you’ll accept whatever it is that you're clashing against, and adapt and overcome.

Our main goal when returning home is becoming productive members of society once again. Focus on that.

Finely got mine under control, which cause me to have seizures for about 20 years, after I gave all my worldly worries and anxieties over to God through Jesus. I have been seizure free for 5 years now and minister, to anyone who will hear, that they are able to come to the same healing through Jesus Christ if they give themselves over to his care. I've been a christian for 34 years and it took me 29 years to get to this point. Lots of running, bad choices and decisions on my part.
5 years ago the Father gave me a word, that I ministered to my congregation, and it concerned the guilt, self condemnation, anger, hatred, worries, anxiety and thrash we care around while still trying to WORK our way into becoming righteous before God our Father. I had vision of the box cars full or crap I was pulling/carrying. Can't be done! I had to totally give all to Jesus. When I did the healing rushed in and renewal began .
Sounds really easy doesn't it? Well it is just that easy. Not saying that as you conform to the likeness of Jesus Christ that there will not be some pains as He works out the issues you have to deal with. Pruning is good it brings on new growth, growth that produces good fruit that the Father can use.
I'm not a ''licensed'' councilor, just a man that has been through it and came out the other side healed and following my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and am being used to minister to all that will hear.
Do you or can you you hear?
With love through Christ Jesus,
Nate.

Thanks all. The advice is greatly appreciated. I will continue to check up on him and I’ll mention groups for him but I won’t press anything on him. Hopefully I can get him to join the ODT clan!

Like some other have said here and I am in the same boat as I still struggle with my PTSD and most days are good and I am ok but some days are still a struggle and it really gets to me. The VA hasn't really been any help and they tried to put me on some meds and send to see someone at the vet center for counseling. That has not happened and I have just gave up with trying to get help from the VA on this issue.

I have found that if I find things to keep me busy around the house or just getting out and riding around town or what ever or working on one my guns and messing around with them and playing with the dogs outside and stuff it helps me. I don't really have anyone to talk to around here as most of the people I know never went into the military and don't really have a clue about things and that is one of the reasons I stay to myself and do things by myself.

Your friend needs to find things to do to occupy his time and keep him busy so that he is not just pondering on the things that have happened and things that he has seen. If you can and other friends can call him here and there or just get to meet up with you someplace and eat or drink some coffee or something and just hang out.

Finely got mine under control, which cause me to have seizures for about 20 years, after I gave all my worldly worries and anxieties over to God through Jesus. I have been seizure free for 5 years now and minister, to anyone who will hear, that they are able to come to the same healing through Jesus Christ if they give themselves over to his care. I've been a christian for 34 years and it took me 29 years to get to this point. Lots of running, bad choices and decisions on my part.
5 years ago the Father gave me a word, that I ministered to my congregation, and it concerned the guilt, self condemnation, anger, hatred, worries, anxiety and thrash we care around while still trying to WORK our way into becoming righteous before God our Father. I had vision of the box cars full or crap I was pulling/carrying. Can't be done! I had to totally give all to Jesus. When I did the healing rushed in and renewal began .
Sounds really easy doesn't it? Well it is just that easy. Not saying that as you conform to the likeness of Jesus Christ that there will not be some pains as He works out the issues you have to deal with. Pruning is good it brings on new growth, growth that produces good fruit that the Father can use.
I'm not a ''licensed'' councilor, just a man that has been through it and came out the other side healed and following my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and am being used to minister to all that will hear.
Do you or can you you hear?
With love through Christ Jesus,
Nate.
GOD bless you brother.

Back
Top Bottom