• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to put meat in the freezer?

medium187mph

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
218   0
Reaction score
Please be kind to what I have to say. My grandfather was an active hunter.... Ducks, deer, turkey, and hogs. He passed away when I turned 2 years old and when he passed.... So did his hunting memories. I asked my dad when I was 16 if we could hunt and he said its easier to buy meat from the store.... I have had no experience in the outdoors life. Everything I have learned on my own. I learned how to bass fish when I was 17 and never looked back. Here is where I am now, I want to learn how to put deer meat in the freezer. I want to fill a hunting void in my life. I know that my grandfather would have jumped if I asked but he isn't here anymore. I talked with my wife about which child will get which gun when I pas away... Then it hit me, I can't teach my own son (2yrs old) how to hunt. I can do many things but from start to finish... I am clueless. I live in Troup county and wondered if anyone would be willing to teach me how to hunt basically anything. I am 30 yrs old and hungry to learn. I have a family, mortgage payment, and a job but still seems like something is missing in my life. I have had very positive experiences with deals and meeting guys who love guns and stuff. I have always been afraid to ask how to hunt because everyone knows how but me...... Just shoot me a pm if you can help me out. Thanks!

i wouldn't mind trying to show you a few things, but with season about to open up, it will be later in the season. shoot me a pm around the beginning of december and we'll see if we can get together on something. there will be far fewer people in the woods then too. do you have access to land? if not, i have land, but it's east of macon. not sure how far you want to go though.

Last edited:
You will probably need to get your hunter safety certificate. Check the Georgia Department of Natural Resources website for locations and dates of classes. This will take you a weekend. Then you will buy your license and go from there. Reading helps, but hanging out at a check station during a Wildlife Management Area hunt is a better source of tried and true techniques for learning how to find and harvest game in your area. Most of all, be ready for the expenses! It's not like it was when your grandfather (lord rest his soul) was a hunter.

Medium, I've been in a similar boat. Reading the threads on here has been helpful, as people tend to post some pretty valuable information. Try this GON thread, too. It's pretty gigantic, but there's some good info in there: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=69253

Definitely take the hunter's safety course. It's a requirement for your license, so you pretty much have to take it, but you'll learn some good info and there will be plenty of other people in the class that you can talk to and learn things from as well. I talked to people at work, and even though it's tough these days to find someone who hunts (at least for me it was) when you do find someone, they are usually more than willing to help.

Good Luck!

Hunter safety course is a must to get your license if you were born after 1961 I think it is, beside it will teach you some common sense things about gun handling and safety, plus you might meet someone willing to help you out, good luck

Please be kind to what I have to say. My grandfather was an active hunter.... Ducks, deer, turkey, and hogs. He passed away when I turned 2 years old and when he passed.... So did his hunting memories. I asked my dad when I was 16 if we could hunt and he said its easier to buy meat from the store.... I have had no experience in the outdoors life. Everything I have learned on my own. I learned how to bass fish when I was 17 and never looked back. Here is where I am now, I want to learn how to put deer meat in the freezer. I want to fill a hunting void in my life. I know that my grandfather would have jumped if I asked but he isn't here anymore. I talked with my wife about which child will get which gun when I pas away... Then it hit me, I can't teach my own son (2yrs old) how to hunt. I can do many things but from start to finish... I am clueless. I live in Troup county and wondered if anyone would be willing to teach me how to hunt basically anything. I am 30 yrs old and hungry to learn. I have a family, mortgage payment, and a job but still seems like something is missing in my life. I have had very positive experiences with deals and meeting guys who love guns and stuff. I have always been afraid to ask how to hunt because everyone knows how but me...... Just shoot me a pm if you can help me out. Thanks!

I will help you out, They are having a hunters safety course in heard county nov 8 and 9th, Get that and I will take you to some of the corp property around the north end of the lake by boat and show you the ropes. You will need to go to the dam and get you a corp permit as well. I am 20 mins from franklin so I can be on the water and have ALOT of corp land to choose from in no time. Pm me if you can go, I guess you could go scouting with out the HS course but you will need the corp permit if you set foot on corp land. I have not yet checked to see if the shutdown had affected the lake operations but I have not heard it has.

I wish you were closer.... Don't give up. It will be WELL worth the effort for you AND your son.

Back
Top Bottom