• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to take payment for a big sale?

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
I'm selling an RV (listed here for $14,900). The market is hot so we have a few people coming to look at it just after listing it on FB. I haven't sold anything this big in a long time, LOL. My question is, what's the best way to take payment?

Cash seems problematic because of possible counterfeit and one buyer already said he doesn't want to show up with that much cash. I heard cashiers checks can be forged. Do we just need to meet the buyer at the bank?

Thanks in advance, ODT.

I'm selling an RV (listed here for $14,900). The market is hot so we have a few people coming to look at it just after listing it on FB. I haven't sold anything this big in a long time, LOL. My question is, what's the best way to take payment?

Cash seems problematic because of possible counterfeit and one buyer already said he doesn't want to show up with that much cash. I heard cashiers checks can be forged. Do we just need to meet the buyer at the bank?

Thanks in advance, ODT.
They can wire the money for $25 from a bank, or cashiers check. For that big purchase I'd pay the wire fee.

When I bought my boat, I just paid with cash, it was almost $15k. If you’ve talked with potential buyers and have a good feel for them I personally wouldn’t worry about cash. Now I did meet with the seller two separate times and talked with him quite a bit on the phone so we had a good feel for each other.

They can wire the money for $25 from a bank, or cashiers check. For that big purchase I'd pay the wire fee.

Does a wire go through fast? I thought that took longer?

When I bought my boat, I just paid with cash, it was almost $15k. If you’ve talked with potential buyers and have a good feel for them I personally wouldn’t worry about cash. Now I did meet with the seller two separate times and talked with him quite a bit on the phone so we had a good feel for each other.
I'm a pretty good judge of character but not good enough to entrust $15k after a couple discussions, lol. I think the douchebag potential is higher this close to Atlanta also.

Does a wire go through fast? I thought that took longer?

I'm a pretty good judge of character but not good enough to entrust $15k after a couple discussions, lol. I think the douchebag potential is higher this close to Atlanta also.
takes one business day, but no chance of losing it and no cash to get robbed of.

Thanks in advance, ODT.
Make an appointment at the Buyer's bank and have a basic Purchase/Sale agreement notarized and insist on a bank draft for payment.

he's right you know.jpeg

Thanks in advance, ODT.

I sold a car once for about $17k. Guy brought a backpack full of cash. We went to my bank to do a BOS and make a deposit. Usually, that will scare off any potentially problematic buyers.

Back
Top Bottom