• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How's your season so far?

lecroy

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
So how has your season been so far? I hadn't seen any bucks that weren't spikes or fork horns up until Wednesday. I was able to cut out of work early and headed for my hunting property. Instead of hunting the few spots I've tried on the property so far this year I decided to try another hardwood bottom that I had noticed good sign in previously. I hung a tree lounge and ran climbing sticks up to it at 4:30 and at 5:55 this guy came from a few years old clearcut behind me. The X marks where he was standing when he locked up and tried to start winding me.

Screenshot_20231110_104542_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231110_104555_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231110_104602_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231110_104612_Gallery.jpg

Congrats!! I can see by the time he stopped, it was too late.....
My season has been great. I've been living vicariously through the hunters on ODT

Congrats!! I can see by the time he stopped, it was too late.....
My season has been great. I've been living vicariously through the hunters on ODT
Definitely was lol. I honestly thought he was a squirrel at first and when I eventually looked over my shoulder and noticed him I about **** myself lol. I instantly picked up the rifle cocked it and BOOM! He jumped about 6ft in the air and somehow still ran about 80yrds after getting hit with a 45-70.
I've been doing the same, everything I have let walk so far finally paid off.

Definitely was lol. I honestly thought he was a squirrel at first and when I eventually looked over my shoulder and noticed him I about **** myself lol. I instantly picked up the rifle cocked it and BOOM! He jumped about 6ft in the air and somehow still ran about 80yrds after getting hit with a 45-70.
I've been doing the same, everything I have let walk so far finally paid off.
Great story. Yep I hate to say it, but most times a deer and a squirrel sound a lot alike to me. So if I don't stay diligent, they'll creep right up on you. I've used that 45-70 bullet with not the best success. Just hasn't been a good brush bullet for me. But the 375H&H has been awesome. Deer that I've shot with the 45-70 projectile have run a distance, but leaving a macabre trail a blind man could follow

Had foot surgery a few weeks ago. Can't walk. Can't climb into the deer stand. Forced to sit here and watch the trail cams as deer eat my corn.

Soul crushing is an understatement.

Nice buck!

My season has gone great so far.
My Son tagged out on bucks during the youth rifle weekend.
My daughter shot one a week later.
My vacation started on 11/2 and I tagged out on two nice bucks 11/3 & 11/6.
I am going to try to get my daughter on a mature buck now (her own choice, she's 14 and has decided to start passing smaller bucks). She’s already passed up on younger buck. She admitted that it was very tough but she enjoyed watching him.
Would love to get my wife back in the woods if work slows down enough that she can get away for a sit.

My season? 1 doe and a lot of conversations with my wife and analyzation of work schedule regarding how I really need to go hunting more. Congrats on the nice buck. Dude who gets to go hunting like a man should. Dammit.

Back
Top Bottom