• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting/Fishing Cabin Build

WOW. I have been doing the exact same thing, but it has only been 11 months. It is both the biggest headache and joy at the same time. Friends and family, 1-2 weekends a month some months nothing at all, scrounged material, done on the cheap. For less than $3000 I am close to having a 16x20 cabin. No running water, no power from the grid, occasional text service and I would not have it any other way.

WOW. I have been doing the exact same thing, but it has only been 11 months. It is both the biggest headache and joy at the same time. Friends and family, 1-2 weekends a month some months nothing at all, scrounged material, done on the cheap. For less than $3000 I am close to having a 16x20 cabin. No running water, no power from the grid, occasional text service and I would not have it any other way.
That's awesome man! Start a thread and post pics!! Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other.

I cheated and started with a "shed".
The first pic is about 3 months in. The second pic is about 9 months in.

Attachments

• 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF1224.JPG
    DSCF1224.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 210
Next is the subflooring. We went with 3/4" Advantech since we knew it would be out in the weather for a while. That stuff is great. I actually work very closely with Huber Engineered Woods R&D team. They are some outstanding guys... you wouldnt believe all the technology that goes into their products. We actually used all Huber OSB products for this build, Advantech and Zip System. A little pricey but well worth it... I highly recommend their products.

I dont have any great pics from the subflooring but you can see where we covered it all up with metal since it might be a couple of months before we can do any more work.
IMG_0286.JPG

back to the culvert

IMG_2564b.JPG

here's the view of the creek
IMG_2239.JPG

Now to start the front porch... Since we went with creosote posts an
d PT lumber for all floor and porch framing, we fastened it all together with ALL stainless hardware... even down to stainless joist hangers. Modern PT lumber is very corrosive even to galvanized fasteners. This thing is built to last so we didnt want to take any chances.

We used 1/2" SS threaded rod to fasten the joists to the 6X6. Also, for each supporting 6X6, we poured sonatube/concrete footers to sit them on top of.

Did I mention it floods often? What do you do when you have a trailer full of lumber and equipment and you cant pull the truck up to the project?... you carry it.... My dad is 6'7"
PC160030.JPG
PC160032.JPG

P6200691.JPG
P6200703.JPG
P9121281.JPG

We went with composite decking lumber... no treatment and no splinters.
P6200705.JPG

Back
Top Bottom