Hunting for the first time this weekend, help!

I should probably add in that while we haven't done any hunting, we have had a lot of range time, and we can both put up about 6 inch groups at 100 yards. we're not experts, but we can hit a hog. I hope. My plan was for us both to shoot at the same hog on the count of three. Is that dumb? We're hunting from a stand.

First aid kit! Yes. Good idea.

Watch the video below on where to shoot hogs. Aim for the neck. Even if you miss to the left or right, you still have a great chance of dropping it. I've never lost a hog aiming for the neck.

And most likely you'll have multiple targets from a sounder (herd of hogs) so I would have your son aim for one on his side, and you aim for one on your side. That would be easier than both of you discussing the same hog to shoot because both of your hearts will be pounding pretty heavily at that point.

Got a little experience with them. If you shoot a big one, you need a way to get it out of the field, but I'm sure your friend will have that covered.;)

3Hogs2.jpg
HogBehindTractor.jpg

I know it's going to be warm but I usually wear a thin long sleeve camo shirt and pants tucked into my boots. Everything sprayed down with permethrin prior to leaving. Ticks and chiggers are bad. Mesh face mask from Walmart to keep the bugs from bothering you when your in the stand. Thin cloth gloves don't hurt either (black, brown, or camo). It's really hard to sit still when you're getting bit by no seeums and biting flies and such. The thermacell works good too but I don't swear by it. A nice small pack is key for stuff like knives, gloves, extra ammo, snacks, waters, flashlight or headlamp, phone, etc...I have a fanny pack with a water bottle holder that I take every time I'm in the woods. Also get some scent elimination spray and spray down really good, I spray before I leave camp and when I get into the stand. Those pigs will smell you before they see you. Good luck and be safe. I hope you have some extra money laying around, hunting is an expensive hobby :thumb:

Ok, you are going to do this without a guide. Hogs are tough to kill. If you wanted to invent a new execution device to kill prisoners waiting for a death sentence. You'd have to prove it works by killing a full size pig.

People talk about a brain shot on a pig. The pig brain is the size of a golf ball. Miss and the pig will turn and attack. If you are going to go for a brain shot: From the side, the brain is directly behind the ear opening. From the front, draw an X, ear to eye, ear to eye, X marks the spot.

Our military at one point had a version of the K-9 corps that trained and utilized pigs in the same manner as K-9 dogs to detect explosives. The dog can detect and reliably alert on an (human) airborne scent at up to 300 yards. The pigs sense of smell is 10 times better than a dog.

One of the ways to trap a pig is to put a sow, in heat, in a cage adjacent to the trap. Boars will come from miles around for the opportunity to mate with her.

Pigs are nocturnal. They tend to bed down during the day and like to wallow in water/mud in the heat of the day.

What plan do you have to control your scent? If you are hunting over bait, Set the bait out a day before and do as little as possible to contaminate the area with your scent.

Where is the baited area in relation to your stand and which direction is the wind blowing?

It's kinda like flying an airplane. You only need to know 100 things to fly an airplane. The problem is you have know all 100 things to fly an airplane.

Good bug spray (a lot of it) or bug suit will help your experience, nothing worse than chiggers on the privates. Hunting is the time to listen to your son, hear what he has to say about anything, trying not to judge what he has to say, but discuss it. Learn who your son is, it might surprise you a little what you learn when you do it right.

As for the "fever", I've found that making a new hunter get the sight picture and just watch long enough to get over the high heart rate and sporadic breathing the shots come easy for them. Don't rush anything, take your time, if you're hunting over bait the hogs will stick around long enough to get a shot.

Nope, we scared them all away. Funny how they get smart after about 20 of their relatives get taken out. LOL. I think they went in your direction.

Ain't that the truth! We used to kill 5-8 per night, but now we only see deer..........sweet! We only started hunting hogs to try and thin them out so I'm good with not seeing them

Back
Top Bottom