• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting for the first time this weekend, help!

I am aware that they do not stand still like targets. I don't see how I am going to become a much better shot in five days. We've been practicing at 100 yards because that is how far I told the stand was from the feeders. I'll let him shoot first, though. Thanks.

Everybody misses. Even the experts. Do your best to make a clean ethical kill and that is all thatcan be asked of you.

You don't want to worry too much about gear the first time out. This will be a learning experience. You want to observe and begin to understand what works for others, and what you think will work for you. Read some hog hunting blogs to understand the hog hunting process.

If you want to focus on something, focus on being a good hunting guest. Watch for etiquette clues (or don't be afraid to ask what's appropriate), and be extra mindful of gun safety: Yours, your sons, and the people around you. You don't know the folks you'll be hunting near, and you need to figure out if they're good about safety.

Comfortable clothing for the forecast, hats, a pair of binoculars. Water bottles and snacks. And mind your trash.

As for who shoots the first hog: Don't worry about that, either. Whoever has the better shot, or anything either of you can shoot, let your son shoot first. Remember, this is the beginning of your hunting career. There will be plenty of opportunities. Relax. Breath. Don't get overcome by shooting fever.

And did I mention: Don't worry too much about gear?

Make sure and get correct ammo. Look on the side of the box and make sure it is not deer or coyote only ammo just to be safe. Just know that the ammo is one of the cheapest things on a hunt; so get the good stuff and make sure your rifle is on zero with it. I missed a hog last year because I practiced with lighter ammo and went hunting with hot 308 ammo in heavier weight. Shot right over the top of the critter. Lastly, make sure you take lots of pictures as your son will remember this for the rest of his life. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

You don't want to worry too much about gear the first time out. This will be a learning experience. You want to observe and begin to understand what works for others, and what you think will work for you. Read some hog hunting blogs to understand the hog hunting process.

If you want to focus on something, focus on being a good hunting guest. Watch for etiquette clues (or don't be afraid to ask what's appropriate), and be extra mindful of gun safety: Yours, your sons, and the people around you. You don't know the folks you'll be hunting near, and you need to figure out if they're good about safety.

Comfortable clothing for the forecast, hats, a pair of binoculars. Water bottles and snacks. And mind your trash.

As for who shoots the first hog: Don't worry about that, either. Whoever has the better shot, or anything either of you can shoot, let your son shoot first. Remember, this is the beginning of your hunting career. There will be plenty of opportunities. Relax. Breath. Don't get overcome by shooting fever.

And did I mention: Don't worry too much about gear?

This is exactly the stuff I needed. Binoculars didn't even occur to me. Great post!
Also, I wasn't worried about who shot the first hog. If it comes down to it, I would rather he did. I was thinking we might shoot at the same time in case someone missed. It was pointed out earlier that that doesn't really work in practice, though.

Hunters Under Age 12
Hunters under age 12 are not required to complete a hunter education course. However, no one under age 12 may hunt unless under direct supervision, i.e. within sight or hearing of licensed adult (at least 18 years old) hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward under age 12 to hunt unsupervised. Special restrictions apply to Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) & National Wildlife Refuges (NWRs).

Hunters Age 12 - 15
Must complete a hunter education course prior to hunting unless under direct supervision of a licensed adult hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward (12-15) to hunt without adult supervision unless the child possesses a hunter education certificate while hunting. See other special rules for WMAs.

Hunters Age 16 - 25
Must present a hunter education certificate when purchasing a season hunting license and must possess the certificate while hunting.

Hunters Over Age 25
Hunters over age 25 and born after January 1, 1961 must meet hunter education course requirements but need not present their hunter education certificate when buying a season hunting license or possess it while hunting.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNHZZOCc_VcOE8sCCSSEe6055q99Dg

I forgot to mention, the reason for the gloves is hogs can carry brucellosis, a bloodborne disease that can be transmitted to humans. I know a guy that got it from dressing hogs.
That used to be listed as a warning in the hunting regs as well as pseudo rabies but I haven't checked in the last several years to see if it's still in there.

This is exactly the stuff I needed. Binoculars didn't even occur to me. Great post!
Also, I wasn't worried about who shot the first hog. If it comes down to it, I would rather he did. I was thinking we might shoot at the same time in case someone missed. It was pointed out earlier that that doesn't really work in practice, though.

It can be very helpful to have a second pair of eyes on the target when you shoot.

Also, unless you are superhuman, you're going to get a rush of adrenaline the first time you realize you have an opportunity to kill your prey. Something primordial in human DNA, I suppose. You're breathing and heart rate spike up like you're sprinting. It's something that diminishes with experience. As a beginner, it's both a thrill and a curse. You just have to work thru it and try to stay calm. Focus on the sights and squeezing the trigger.

Wish you and your son luck. It's a great thing for a father and son to do together.

Reactions: VME
Hunters Under Age 12
Hunters under age 12 are not required to complete a hunter education course. However, no one under age 12 may hunt unless under direct supervision, i.e. within sight or hearing of licensed adult (at least 18 years old) hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward under age 12 to hunt unsupervised. Special restrictions apply to Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) & National Wildlife Refuges (NWRs).

Hunters Age 12 - 15
Must complete a hunter education course prior to hunting unless under direct supervision of a licensed adult hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward (12-15) to hunt without adult supervision unless the child possesses a hunter education certificate while hunting. See other special rules for WMAs.

Hunters Age 16 - 25
Must present a hunter education certificate when purchasing a season hunting license and must possess the certificate while hunting.

Hunters Over Age 25
Hunters over age 25 and born after January 1, 1961 must meet hunter education course requirements but need not present their hunter education certificate when buying a season hunting license or possess it while hunting.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNHZZOCc_VcOE8sCCSSEe6055q99Dg

You forgot the favorite ODT hunting license, Free lifetime license for hunters over 65.

Back
Top Bottom