• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting mentor

Rfninja

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'd love to go hunting but would like some help. I understand some of the basics and I've been with others but never have harvested anything.

My son who's 6, is really wanting to go some day. We don't feel he could sit for 5 mins out side while being quite, so I figure I have a year or 2 to learn.

I live in downtown Decatur but can drive a couple of hours to meet you.

He goal is to hunt deer, hogs, turkey, duck as well as other fowl.

I almost have everything I need, I think.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Casey j

I had your same goal a few years ago. I had a friend who also had zero hunting experience. We started hunting together. Here was our process.

- read a lot - GON and other hunting magazines were very helpful
- we initially started hunting public land/ WMA's, after each mostly unsuccessful hunt we would hang out at the check station, talk to other hunters and Rangers.
- eventually we found friends and other more experienced hunters to guide us
- finally we leased some private land with a few other more experienced hunters and that is wher we had the most success.

Private land is your best option by far. Keep asking around and you will find other hunters willing to help you out. Read, read, read.

Good luck and stick with it, it's an awesome sport!

I am in Decatur as well, at Clairemont and Scott. While I do most of my hunting on public land, I do get invites from time to time for private hunts. PM if you want to chit chat about it.

Thanks guys.
I do not have a place to go, and not sure what to look for in public land. I had some land in TN which I've "hunted" on but it became a subdivision so I sold it. Like I mentioned I've walked around in the woods looking but never have taken anything.
Hops, you're really close. I'd gladly buy you a coffee or beer to talk one day after the new year.

Hey guys.
I'd love to go hunting but would like some help. I understand some of the basics and I've been with others but never have harvested anything.

My son who's 6, is really wanting to go some day. We don't feel he could sit for 5 mins out side while being quite, so I figure I have a year or 2 to learn.

I live in downtown Decatur but can drive a couple of hours to meet you.

He goal is to hunt deer, hogs, turkey, duck as well as other fowl.

I almost have everything I need, I think.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Casey j

I'm not sure he can't sit still. Both my kids surprised me and I had both of them with me at the same time.
I was very surprised how quiet and still they could sit and the first time they were out they were 4 and 7.

I'm not sure he can't sit still. Both my kids surprised me and I had both of them with me at the same time.
I was very surprised how quiet and still they could sit and the first time they were out they were 4 and 7.

A ground blind comes in handy when they can't sit still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom