• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hunting with AR's

Deer,coyotes,hogs would ill be my choice to hunt, I was thinking either.308 or .223, but optics Idk what I should go with

For GA go with 1 - 4x or a 3 - 9x unless you are sitting on a long powerline or field somewhere. Get the best glass you can afford so you see good at dawn and dusk. Personally I use an Aimpoint T-1 red dot for deer and hogs, and a Leupold 1 - 4x or Weaver 1 - 3x for hogs and coyote when I need to get a little longer distance. I have 3 - 9x scopes sitting on two rifles that I have never even shot because the longest distance for me is about 150 yards.

Here are a few of my rigs for Hunting pigs, coyote and other Vermin!
Going on a hog hunt in a few weeks and getting them ready....The camo tape on the hand guard is both for the camo pattern but also to insulate my hands a bit...the metal hand guards can sure make your hands cold even when wearing gloves..

The Lower gun is a DPMS with a VTAC handrail and an ACOG (4x) power site and a Timney Trigger....good shooting gun that is LIGHT! My 9 year old will be using this gun on our next hunt!
photo copy 3.jpg

This heavy barrel config has a Vortex PST 1-4x scope on it...the variable is a great scope as it is easy to track moving game. It is hard for ME to hit a moving target under any magnification much more than 4-6x. My 11 year old will be using this gun. A Stag gun that has a Heavy barrel, Midwest Ind rifle length rail, and National Match trigger...this gun is a shooter...a little heavier but worth the weight...
photo copy 4.jpg

Last edited:
I hunted alt of thickets this year so red dot was all I needed. Since mosts shoots were 50yards max and spooked deer. Hunted wma so I did lots of walking to see if I could jump something.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121024_100837_1.jpg

I put up the rifle late in the season and carried pistol only walking thru thickets popped this guy at 10 yards in a big thickets. Heavy boy. He jumped the creeked and broke 2 tines when he landed.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_Screenshot_2012_12_23_10_53_57.png

Back
Top Bottom