• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hurricane Irma Poll

Do you think so many schools and businesses being closed tomorrow (Tuesday) is justifiable?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • I don't care I'm eating tacos

Votes: 15 25.9%

• Total voters

jhunter

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
72   0
Reaction score
My company gave us today off work in order to make sure everyone is home safe during the harsh winds and rain we are expecting today. I've noticed a lot of companies/schools have preemptively closed tomorrow as well. I'm a young'n and would just like to see yall's opinions on the situation. Do you think so many schools and businesses being closed tomorrow is justifiable and why?

Also:
if-your-nearest-waffle-house-is-closed-you-should-probably-6620318.png

I like it because I worked a lot of years for state agencies who didn't care what the weather did and expected you to get to work at personal risk. The change that came after snow-mageddon a few years ago has been nice to see.

Tomorrow will be when the difficulties will be in the areas the storm hits. With the unknown of exactly where this will be I think it's better safe than sorry. Give enough time for trees to be cleared out of the roads, some tress to be cut to prevent them from falling in the roadway or on power lines, power to be turned back on and so on.

I'm at work. I had two people I know (gubment employees) call/text me today to ask if I had the day off. Nope. I work for a private company, we don't shut our operations down because it's raining too hard. Show up or use vaca time.

It's better to be prepared and then nothing happens than to have people get hurt trying to come to work. That's my perspective since I'm doing gov stuff and I get the next two days off. It's going to be a giant nothingburger, but things could always change at the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom