• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC on solar only?

Solar hybrid ac unit.
The DC powered Air Conditioner listed is the least expensive part of the project:

Take a look at the cost of what is required to power even this small 1 ton unit: :shocked:

As someone in the RV world, there are 12v AC units out there that run on direct batteries, no need for an inverter. It's probably not feasible for a home, though, because even just doing a 600sq ft RV takes a lot of juice.

Also, lol @ the AC guys taking shots. Who knew?

Also, Also, I have a Goodman. :ranger:

As someone in the RV world, there are 12v AC units out there that run on direct batteries, no need for an inverter. It's probably not feasible for a home, though, because even just doing a 600sq ft RV takes a lot of juice.

Also, lol @ the AC guys taking shots. Who knew?

Also, Also, I have a Goodman. :ranger:
Worst than electricians...

I did some exploration with small solar system. 4 - 100w panels, Renogy Controller, 100 AH Lithium battery (got a super deal on it), HF pure sine wave inverter. Probably have about $1200 in the system and used it just to run 2 - 40 watt grow lamps for 5 hrs a day. All worked fine as long as sunny days. A couple rainy cloudy days and the battery can't keep up. My son in law's father has a boat in the Bahamas running multiple lithium ion batteries and multiple solar panels and only gets about 5 hours of AC daily. I can't imagine a whole house system for under $20K.

My son in law's father has a boat in the Bahamas running multiple lithium ion batteries and multiple solar panels and only gets about 5 hours of AC daily.
Can't get much sunnier than on a boat in the Bahamas. That's probably best case scenario for solar

I guess we're up to the "new green deal" here....all smoke....mirrors not needed...
it just ain't gonna happen today....maybe nectember...

Depending on the size of your home and how many HVAC systems you have it would be a better bang for your buck when it comes time to replace the system to go with a Variable speed option it will cost more to install but will be much more efficient than a standard single speed system. Most new variable speed systems are DC power and use between 1/2 to 1/4 the power depending on the needed heat load of the day. Also when you go that route look into Mitsubishi and Trane their variable speed systems are very dependable as long as the people that install them do it right.

Back
Top Bottom