• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC on solar only?

The solar industry has made substantial progress since the 1950's and battery technology which is being driven by the automotive industry is producing more efficient batteries every year. Unfortunately, most agree these technologies are years away from being able to power high demand devices like a central AC from a few solar cells and a couple of small batteries.

The South is just seeming to catch up with the northern climes on the value of good insulation. It's probably the single most important part of lowering electric bills.

That being said, going to a heat pump system is a huge win as well. The modern units are way more efficient than standard AC.

Captdave77 put a Bosch variable speed unit in a few years back when my upstairs unit died and it cut my power bill by about 1/4-1/3rd. GA Power routinely says on my bill that my house is one of the most power efficient in my billing area.

The reduced draw of a heat pump *might* allow it to work off solar, but I would think you would need a pretty hefty battery bank to run when it's hot and cloudy.
A standard A/C is just as efficient as a heat pump

Back
Top Bottom