• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hydroseed vs sod for big rocky yard ( please help weigh in )

Realtor

Default rank 5000+ posts Sponsor
Buying or selling real estate? PM me for Discounts
375   0
Reaction score
I got hosed from our builder and now have a new construction house with zero grass.

We tried seeding and strawing and got zero results.

I need some opinions on buying sod Vs hydro seeding this rocky yard.

I got a quote for 10 feet around the house for around $9000 for sod and prep work , that would be fine but ….

The bad news? I have about 200 foot of front yard..

With that being said, do you guys recommending that I Harley rake the property and try hydroseeding it?

I’ve been warned (of course by sod guys ) to be careful dumping a bunch of money into seeding and getting bad results

What’s y’all’s opinion? Do sod in increments and pay out the wazoo or try hydro seeding?
B612E38F-AFA3-44F2-BD35-F6E12D5897C8.jpeg

Depending on how rocky it is, it’s possible that neither will work. Grass doesn’t grow well over rocky ground. Same reason you have to remove the gravel around a driveway culvert put there at the beginning of the build. Even if you sod over the gravel, it wI’ll eventually die.

I resodded my yard about four years ago, I went with zenith zoysia. Looked fantastic for two years, the landscape company taking care of it over-fertilized and burnt a majority of it. When the grass was coming back, it got a fungus...long story short, the yard looks like it did BEFORE we sodded it and I'm slowly working my way back to a nice lawn again.

Sod is immediately satisfying when installed, but in retrospect I may not have spent that much $$$ had I known how fragile grass can be. I by no means have a green thumb but I can/do follow instructions, my yard looked like hell in spite of following instructions.

Depending on how rocky it is, it’s possible that neither will work. Grass doesn’t grow well over rocky ground. Same reason you have to remove the gravel around a driveway culvert put there at the beginning of the build. Even if you sod over the gravel, it wI’ll eventually die.
It’s not that rocky , a Harley rake would take care of the rocks I think
We drilled 1000 feet to get to water

I resodded my yard about four years ago, I went with zenith zoysia. Looked fantastic for two years, the landscape company taking care of it over-fertilized and burnt a majority of it. When the grass was coming back, it got a fungus...long story short, the yard looks like it did BEFORE we sodded it and I'm slowly working my way back to a nice lawn again.

Sod is immediately satisfying when installed, but in retrospect I may not have spent that much $$$ had I known how fragile grass can be. I by no means have a green thumb but I can/do follow instructions, my yard looked like hell in spite of following instructions.
Damn

What he said about gravel, could be bedrock isn't far down too. I'd take a piece of rod out there and see how far down bedrock is in a few places (where you know there isn't any cables, pipes or septic).

Sodded my yard twice front and back, $5k per time. My sandy soil will not keep the sod going, finally had KSouth KSouth pour concrete over the back. Nice fine patio with a fireplace by 24on48hunting 24on48hunting to enjoy.

Maybe sod around the house, and natural area for the rest.

Check with Nonliberal Nonliberal for a deal on some orange gravel.

Back
Top Bottom