• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hydroseed vs sod for big rocky yard ( please help weigh in )

Sodded my yard twice front and back, $5k per time. My sandy soil will not keep the sod going, finally had KSouth KSouth pour concrete over the back. Nice fine patio with a fireplace by @24on48hunting to enjoy.

Maybe sod around the house, and natural area for the rest.

Check with @Nonliberal for a deal on some orange gravel.
i was debating doing this as well
So at least we know that around the immediate area of the house would be good to go and then hydro seed the rest and see what happens

How much sod do you get for $9K? Will your well support watering it?

I would try to find a local farmer and ask them how to grow grass. As crazy as that sounds, years ago I had a farmer that did all of my grassing on development projects. His grass grew 10 times better than the erosion companies hydro seeding.

How much sod do you get for $9K? Will your well support watering it?

I would try to find a local farmer and ask them how to grow grass. As crazy as that sounds, years ago I had a farmer that did all of my grassing on development projects. His grass grew 10 times better than the erosion companies hydro seeding.
How would I know if the well would support it? Call my well guy? We don’t have any water issues here but it’s only two of us

9k Sod would get 10 feet in front , sides, and back
Prep work included

I’m all seriousness. We’ve been working on my bro-n-laws lot for a while now. He has nothing but good ol chirt in his back yard. We’re getting top soil brought in, spreading it 1-2 in all over then he’s getting it hydro seeded. It’s expensive but cheaper than sod. Then again it’s about 3 acres. Weve moved and cleared a bunch or trees and dirt around here.

Even the healthiest lawns can have issues. Here is a section in my back yard that was sodded last year. It also has a sprinkler system but over the winter it developed “winter kill”. It’s just now starting to fill back in.

1A760942-D652-4727-880D-960C0B719C80.jpeg

Couple of ideas:

Take soil samples to your county extension office to have the soil tested to see what, if anything is needed to support a healthy lawn. May help you make a decision. Smart guys and gals there.

If there is a nice golf course near you, try to talk with the head greenskeeper there. Buy him lunch and bounce your ideas off of him. Lots of knowledge there.

Back
Top Bottom