• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am Scared ... All The New Gun Owners!

I’ve been teaching folks to handle firearms for about 25 years. In no way have I seen a difference in the quality and capabilities of first-time gun owners in that time. To this day, the worst pair of first-time gun purchasers I have ever seen were in their late 20’s when they walked through the doors of Hot Shots back in 1994. I sent them on their way with no gun, and directions on where to buy a baseball bat.

"Arms" were everything, including swords, warships and artillery pieces.

The colonies borrowed warships from individuals to arm the fledgling Navy.

It wasn't unusual for a rich dude to own his own artillery piece and fund a company around it - early version of the American Legion. They would have regular "musters" and party on. Of the rich dude would underwrite a company of "foot", providing the uniforms and weaponry.

The history of war in England and across Europe was privately funded militias or companies or whatever responding to whatever cause was going on, and making up the army.

Armored knights were the epitome of the privately funded weaponry - they were the "battle tanks" of their time. It was very expensive to arm and horse a knight, which is why they were primarily nobility.

I'm glad there are a lot of new gun owners. Some people grow up with the idea that only police and criminals own guns. I'm happy if the percentage of those folks is reduced. I grew up thinking firearms were normal and not scary. It's very easy to manipulate people who are ignorant and scared, hence "gun violence" in the news.

The right to keep and bear arms is a right. Driving a car is a privilege. That's a fact.

For people advocating for compulsory firearms safety training, I'd suggest it wouldn't be a bad idea for a middle school and then a high school class, maybe an elective.

Back
Top Bottom