" I am the NRA." ( I just don't tell anyone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libertarians/free thinkers who don't agree with social conservative's attempts to legislate their social morals on the rest of society? You don't have to hate Obama, drool over Glen Beck, or think homosexuality is the devil's way of destroying the country to believe in the rights that were supposed to be guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment...

Hmmm, the questions were not really directed toward anyone other than the orig thread starter, although he might welcome other's opinions, no matter how fruitful or warped .

Bryan:

I have unconsciously been waiting for someone to express this sentiment. Like you, I am disappointed that the gun rights organizations (to include the NRA and many others) have been co-opted by the far right. Sometimes it seems like the ODT is the same way, but then I read a post like yours and I'm reassured that there is, in fact, a diversity of viewpoints here. My main problem with the social conservatism propounded by the NRA is that it ties gun rights to other, completely unrelated issues, forcing those who would defend gun rights to deal with the perception that they are staunchly anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, etc., and forcing us to expend time and political capital divorcing ourselves from the "mainstream" gun rights movement.

I think that if the NRA and organizations like it would simply focus on gun rights, and not make other, collateral issues part and parcel of the gun rights argument, it would be a smart move. If we give those who oppose gun rights more things to gripe about, I think it dilutes our arguments. In short, gun rights have nothing to do with Obamacare, the Defense of Marriage Act, or any of the other hot button social issues of the day, and gun rights organizations should start acting accordingly.

Lax:

That's a great point, and demonstrates what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. You are, presumably, pushing back against religious values being rolled up into the public conception of "conservatism," and that's very valid. You don't want your message, which I presume to be one of fiscal conservatism, diluted with all the social issue crap. Similarly, I don't want gun rights ground up and put in a sausage casing shared with ground up bits of other issues that I honestly care nothing about. I hope I'm reading your post right, and feel free to correct me if I got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom