• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have some gun owner questions I don't really know where else to ask.

geetarjunkie

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone, please don't jump all over me for this post, I am a good responsible young guy and I just want to know a few things....

1st off... When I was 17 I was arrested and charged for selling stolen items, theft by taking, burglary and I think thats it, it was a big deal. My side of the story is I truly did not know the stuff was stolen and anywho none of that matters, those are the facts. I was never convicted but since I had the stuff I was by no means innocent, it went to a plea bargin or something I can't remember the exact weird/rare term, but I was never convicted of a felony. I have stayed out of trouble, I'm not a dumb kid anymore, I grew up shooting guns and I love the hobby, I have no interest in carrying one or anything of that nature, not for where I live and travel for the most part. So I was told by a few law enforcement friends that I could legally own a gun. which leads me to my next point.
2ndly... I went to a gun store down south of me, they were having a special on the gun i wanted, a ruger 10/22, the rifle of my childhood. I started the paperwork and the man ran my background check and the sale was delayed, not denied. He told me that sort of thing happens and to check back in a few days, I was scared to death I was not going to be able to own a gun and it was just really depressing, theres just somethings you can't escape from. BUT I checked back in a few days and he told me I could come pick it up. SO I went and picked up my brand new Ruger 10/22.

OK sorry about all the reading. I want to know if I can go get my carry permit so I can go in a store and see something i like and buy it when its available, not have to wait because they think its an impulse buy or w/e. Also I want to be as legal as possible when I'm driving to where I shoot. Am I able to get a carry permit with my background? All I have to go on is that I went and tried buying a rifle, got delayed, then I was told I could go pick it up. Have I done something wrong? was it a mistake I was sold that rifle? I see deals all the time on this site and I would like to eventually know that I can go buy one and not do something illegal. I'm staying out of trouble ya'll and I need some good advice! Thanks in advance.

I believe that getting your weapons permit is up to your local sherriff. I know that in Cobb, you have to go to the probate court and fill out your app, pay your fee, and get fingerprinted. From what I understand, they run a GBI background check and pass the results to the sherriff, who gets the final yeah or nay. It took about three weeks to get mine back in the mail.

Someone please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.

It's actually up to the Probate Court judge. A lot will depend on whether your record is complete and it all final adjudications are entered properly. Good luck to you...

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not sure of anything I'm about to say. However, I think it will depend on how the chargers were settled. I would get an attorney to look into it for you. If there is anything left on your record it could effect a lot more than a carry permit, so it would be worth finding out for sure and if there is something there a lawyer might be able to do something about it. Also, I think in Georgia it's not a matter of getting permission from anyone for a permit. If there is not something in your background that would exempt you from getting one, they must give it to you.

Others on here, that know more than me, will chime in and give you better advice, so keep an eye on this thread.

Georgia is a "Must approve" state.
What that means is that if the local Sheriff's investigation does not disqualify you under Georgia Law then he must approve the application for your permit. Then the Judge can issue the permit the judge is not bound to issue the permit. However I doubt he would be in office very long if he did not.
The Sheriff's Department can take up to ninety days to complete their investigation. (GBI only runs the instant fingerprint search) If you are know to the department to be a citizen in good standing then it may only take a few minutes. Some counties can have you a permit in a few hours.
You have to do the whole application for renewal now.

Hope this helps.

Being delayed on your rifle purchase is nothing to worry about, happens all the time. Last time it happened to me,at BPS, the person there told me that if no word came in 7 days to come pick up the pistol. Thats when I got my carry permit. I dont like to wait. I got my permit in about 3 weeks....now i dont have to wait when I see something I want. And yes I do have a somewhat spotted past from my youth including involuntary manslaughter. You did nothing wrong in buying the rifle,its just the hoops you must jump through. Apply for your permit, worse they can say is denied and that dosnt mean its illegal for you to own a firearm, you just wont be able to CCW and will have to spend the extra $5 everytime you buy from an FFL. And next time it may be approved on the spot. Good Luck

You could just apply for your permit, gamble the $80 and if it goes through then your good. If not, then take steps to figure out what is holding it up.

Last edited:
Go to your local PD or SO , pay the 8.00/10.00 and get a copy of your criminal history.
This will tell you what your charges and convictions were and whether any dispositions are left open.
This lets you know where you stand going in.
If all charges have final dispositions and there are no felony convictions or domestic violence convictions (incl. misdemeanors) then you should not have any problems.
If there are open dispositions on the record, contact the GBI Firearms Background Check unit , they will send you the proper forms you will have to fill out get signed off on by the prosecuting attorney's office that handled your cases that verify your cases have been completely adjudicated and are now closed with no pending probation/parole issues/fines outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom