• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I miss the 70's.

Oh, let's see:
Oldest brother graduated in 76 = KISS.
Sister graduated in 78 = Bee Gees.
But my older sister used to "have to" take me on dates. If she liked the guy she was out with I got left with the car, at the party/cruise spot, by the river etc. Didn't take long for the other older kids to give me a beer, and then for the older girls to spill all their troubles too. Never got past 2nd with any girl six years older...Go figure. I only got in trouble once when I climbed into the support trestles of an old bridge with a six pack.

Walking through the woods one day (about 10-12 years old) and came across an older teenager smoking dope. He gave me a crazy look and said "I got a knife". I covered him with the muzzle of a 12 Gauge and said "I've got a shotgun, what's your point?" (I wasn't a cocky kid, and was scared, but knew how to play poker) The next week at school (one campus from 1st to 12th grade) he finds me and says "hey kid, I still got a knife". I was scared to be honest, but I responded with, "and I can get my Dad's 45, so you better kill me, or I'll sure as hell kill you tomorrow,"

Try just saying that at school today!

We did routinely take shotguns and rifles to school, many displayed in the racks in the back windows of trucks.

Can't do that today either.

Cutting trees down with a machete. Building forts and wooden swords. Open lot baseball and football. Climbing trees to the pint that the top was bending over. Making giant swings, playing Tarzan. Jumping off the roof of the neighbor's shed. Building bonfires....

Oh, and swimming in every water hole we could find, including the river where everyone said an alligator lived.

And definitely going out at 6:30am and not coming back till after dark!

Way too much more. I feel for my children. Thank God they like to play outdoors.

My folks have some original versions of metal lunch boxes. The also have a ****load of old metal toys from way back up to the 70s. And for some reason known only them they have boxes full of Ninja Turtle toys. My stepfather hasn't had a job in 30 years and has way too much time to think up stupid **** to buy. And i wish they would ban him from Craigslist. he buys the dumbest ****!

Hey, my mom kept my oldest brother's Beatles metal lunchbox from the late sixties early seventies. No idea where my siblings hawked it when she died. She kept everything

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some of these are early 80's but that's ok.

Hey, my mom kept my oldest brother's Beatles metal lunchbox from the late sixties early seventies. No idea where my siblings hawked it when she died. She kept everything
My folks were antique collectors since the 70s. I still remember them meeting a guy at the old Lakewood Fairgrounds and buying some vases and tables that looked like they belonged in a mansion. On the way home they talked about how shady the guy was. Long story short we really thought that stuff belonged to Burt Reynolds. I believe he owned all or part of Lakewood back then. In the 80s there was an antique flea market called Elko up near Hartsfield that as maybe once a month. I can't remember how many times I walked through that old warehouse. I didn't think anything about it because all the **** they liked was turn of the century furniture,clocks,china etc.
Back around 04/05 when I lived in an old shack in Forsyth I looked everywhere for furniture and decorations from the late 60s and 70s. But most of it is gone. I wanted a pair of what I call telephone tables. Basically it was an end table with a smaller part above it. You sat the pea green rotary dial phone on the upper part and the phone book slid under the top part out of the way. I wanted a tacky paisley pit group with a paisley shaped coffee table to go with it. But it's all gone. And from what I found out while looking nobody saved that stuff from back then. When most people went to the Farmer's Furniture and bought new 80s ugly **** to replace the old stuff they just threw the old stuff out. Nobody thought that stuff from the 60s and 70s would ever be considered "Antiques" or valuable. They just saw ugly ass old Al Bundy furniture and trashed it. But see I'm so warped I would love to have a house like Donna's parents had from The 70s Show. That **** was cool!

Back
Top Bottom