• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need some help......

UH60Driver

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
48   0
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the equivalent of 50 grains of smokeless powder in terms of a cartridge? First of all I am sorry if my terminology is incorrect. Here is the story... My father has a Walker Colt (remake version, probably a uberti but I'm not exactly sure, all I know is it isn't an original Walker). He fired it as a black powder pistol for many years, recently he had a smith convert it to cartridge fire. He now isn't sure what round to use safely when shooting it, regarding grain variances. This is simply going to be used to in shooting down by his creek, it won't be for competition shooting or distance or anything like that. Can anyone tell me what he can shoot safely? Thanks for any help/advice.

How recent? Can't he call the smith to ask what cartridge the pistol fires now? Maybe it was .45 Colt. The barrel diameter (ID) is the same (nearly) for the .44 ball round of old and the .45 cal bullets of today.

The grain equivalent is going to vary based on the powder used. Powders are going to have vast pressure differences based on their burn characteristics. What case will it chamber? If it is the .45 Colt (.45 LC) I would consider starting with a load from a manual no greater than the minimum starting load listed for that cartridge. I would use a light bullet, perhaps even an appropriately sized round ball, and a powder such as trail boss that had a slow burn rate and produced little energy for the volume.
With minimum loads, especially until a satisfactory load is developed, make certain the projectile leaves the barrel before firing another round.

Yep!
this is venturing into troubled waters unless you know the strength of the particular weapon and what it was rechambered to shoot.
Smokeless powder is quite a bit more potent than equal amounts of black powder.
the older cartridges that actually used Black powder that are still around today (38 Spl, 45-70 etc) have hugely larger cases than needed, that was to accommodate the Black powder that was used.

Personally I'd load with BP and be safe ! As it's a Colt you can just knock the wedge out and dump barrel and cyl in hot water to clean.

There is a powder designed to replace black powder-it is called pyrodex. Check it out.

Www. Hodgdon.com for info

Black powder though abosolutely necessary in some old firearms is super messy and proper cleaning is a pain. I'd check with the smith because if it will handle standard smokeless cartridges that's darn sure what I would shoot.
Taking guns completely apart to put them in a tub of hot water for a good scrubbing then completely drying and lubricating before reassembling after shooting BP really sucks.

When it comes to reloading or suggestions as to what grain, I don't offer an opinion. I will say that the only black powder I use is Goex, and depending on the burn rate desired, it ranges from F, FF, FFF, FFFF. Because of the problems that can arise from not using proper precautions. All I can recommend is the Proper reloading manuals that are available

Back
Top Bottom