I remember my dad took a test drive in these one year

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
As it just so happens it was either the gremlin or the Pacer that was the fastest production car in one year of american-made cars that is. I imagine this gremlin with a 401 was pretty stout for its time. I remember there was two guys from the Air Force and altus Oklahoma used to come to Frederick and tinker around with their cars and race while they were there. Craig fromman's buddy spent 3 months trying to get his gremlin ready to outrun me. That's what I had my 67 Plymouth Belvedere. I ate his ass up. He was so mad he went out and sold the car. After the race he got in that car and drove 45 minutes all the way back to altus just to start drinking he was pissed! Those were the good old street racing days. If you put a good camshaft, a good set of flowing heads, a good exhaust and a good differential those cars would have been a beast.

As it just so happens it was either the gremlin or the Pacer that was the fastest production car in one year of american-made cars that is. I imagine this gremlin with a 401 was pretty stout for its time. I remember there was two guys from the Air Force and altus Oklahoma used to come to Frederick and tinker around with their cars and race while they were there. Craig fromman's buddy spent 3 months trying to get his gremlin ready to outrun me. That's what I had my 67 Plymouth Belvedere. I ate his ass up. He was so mad he went out and sold the car. After the race he got in that car and drove 45 minutes all the way back to altus just to start drinking he was pissed! Those were the good old street racing days. If you put a good camshaft, a good set of flowing heads, a good exhaust and a good differential those cars would have been a beast.

Had a friend that had a V8 Gremlin. 0 traction off the line.
Did have an AMX leave my 396 Nova SS in the dust on I85, though.

Looked just like this one…
IMG_2750.jpeg

Had a friend that had a V8 Gremlin. 0 traction off the line.
Did have an AMX leave my 396 Nova SS in the dust on I85, though.

Looked just like this one…
View attachment 6069780
Those cars set up right where beast. I saw a segment on a car show on one of those one time and they ran stupid times right out of the showroom. And if someone knew what they were doing got up under the hood and started making modifications they got really fast. They said on that TV program that those cars were built for nothing but racing with the short wheelbase and all that.

Popular Mechanics had an article (maybe 1974 75?) Explaining how ALL American made cars would be designed like the Gremlin or Pacer by 1980, the year I'd be able to obtain a driver's license.

I was ****ing crushed that my "future" held only shytebox looking autos. I was totally defeated for months.

Popular Mechanics had an article (maybe 1974 75?) Explaining how ALL American made cars would be designed like the Gremlin or Pacer by 1980, the year I'd be able to obtain a driver's license.

I was ****ing crushed that my "future" held only shytebox looking autos. I was totally defeated for months.
Yeah until I saw an 85 TransAm with the GTA package and WS6 Tire and suspension package. I was mesmerized. I was a Mopar man from the start. However the TransAm was my fantasy car.
Later I had an 85 and 87 with all the options. Corvette wheels, WS6 package and no bird on the hood. That just won't do. They were sleek and beautiful cars for the time.

Back
Top Bottom