• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I shot myself. I'm done shooting steel

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I was at the range yesterday shooting plates. I assume I hit the rack and it ricocheted. I was struck just above my eye and it continued to cut the edge of my ear. I was probably 12 yards from the rack which is closer than I realized.
One bullet to the head took me out of the fight. I was not a determined attacker but I knew I was done.
9mm hurts.
I will never shoot without safety glasses. I had them on and am thankful.
When you are sweating a cut on your ear can bleed a lot. I always carry wet wipes and the pack that belongs in the car is in a softball bag somewhere. Time to restock. I also need a better first aid kit. The one I have has been picked through.
I was thankful my kids were not there. I bled more than I wanted them to see.

How far away are you when you shoot plates?

I wish I had taken pics at the range. A picture of my head would be a disappointment. Just an ugly dude with a nick on his head and ear and a headache.

Before we painted the wall at the back of the pistol range a couple of years ago I pulled many jacket fragments out of the plywood. I had to use pliers. Shooting steel can be hazardous.

9894F3A4-380C-4184-9F3A-1162720B8DE3.jpeg
View attachment 1721488
Currently. Wounded pride is not reflected in picture

15 yards pistol on steel unless shooting frangible. Even at 15, you'll still get splashback sometimes. If the steel is pitted, better move it to 20 and/or shoot frangible only.

Back
Top Bottom