• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I shot myself. I'm done shooting steel

All of the examples here of someone getting hit were all flesh wounds. After the bullet ricochets, it loses enough velocity to not be deadly. However, you can easily lose an eye and have permanent scars. Eye Pros are a real good idea. As others have said, angling the plate down helps a lot.

Glad you didn't lose an eye.

Rosewood

45 ACP ricochet back and hit me in the shoulder. It was hard enough that if I would have been hit in the head it would have probably knocked me silly. I was 15 yards away shooting a hanging plate that rocked when it was hit. My 44 magnum knocked it around one and a half times in my 454 spun it almost three times. I was hit in the shoulder and I was fine just surprised but I said the worst thing you can say when you get hit with a bullet GD. There was some lawyers in their suits shooting at 50 yards and they asked me if I was okay and if I needed an ambulance. I guess they were wanting to sue the indoor outdoor range.
I was shooting an SKS at a piece of lead.
It was a square block and it weighed about 70 pounds. The first shot hit the corner and it went up and broke a tree branch the second shot came back helicoptering between me and my friend that was standing about 15 ft to my right. I heard it out of my right ear and he heard it through his left ear. That would have hurt. .
I reported to the owner of the gun range what had happened period two months later he took the swinging targets down due to car damage. He had to replace two cars windshields. Now all we can shoot at is paper .

I took a 556 to the wrist a few years back from the 50 yard line. I was done with steel. Bad part I wasn’t even the shooter.

Attachments

• B83B54AF-63E0-4572-AB11-1922BEAD8ABA.jpeg
    B83B54AF-63E0-4572-AB11-1922BEAD8ABA.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 0C99F7E5-5983-44A5-B36D-FB98972928E1.jpeg
    0C99F7E5-5983-44A5-B36D-FB98972928E1.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
I just realized I have not been to the range since. I normally go once a week. I have gotten packed up a few times and decided it was too hot to go. I sure hope its the heat and being busy that's keeping me away from the range.

My non-professional opinion thinks it is a bad idea to shoot rifle cartridges at steel at any range less than 100 yards. And again, the plates should be angled slightly down.

I was at the range yesterday shooting plates. I assume I hit the rack and it ricocheted. I was struck just above my eye and it continued to cut the edge of my ear. I was probably 12 yards from the rack which is closer than I realized.
One bullet to the head took me out of the fight. I was not a determined attacker but I knew I was done.
9mm hurts.
I will never shoot without safety glasses. I had them on and am thankful.
When you are sweating a cut on your ear can bleed a lot. I always carry wet wipes and the pack that belongs in the car is in a softball bag somewhere. Time to restock. I also need a better first aid kit. The one I have has been picked through.
I was thankful my kids were not there. I bled more than I wanted them to see.

How far away are you when you shoot plates?
Hey man. I told you guys all of you guys to never shoot steel.

How far away? LOL ask this man.

Plates were angled down but it was a double tap. Second shot hit on upswing of plate causing it to bounce back not down. Agreed on proper yardage though. Still not shooting steel again.

In my Basic Precision Rifle Course, we zero at 100yds on paper and shoot the rest of the distances on steel; 150-1,000yds.

I shoot steel regularly, pistol and carbine, and have been doing so for decades. Minor dings and scrapes, here and there. More than worth it for the training and feedback I get out of it. Y’all don’t get scared away from shooting steel. Take common sense precautions and train away!

I took a 556 to the wrist a few years back from the 50 yard line. I was done with steel. Bad part I wasn’t even the shooter.
Eh just a scratch. Not! That's pretty serious.

Hey man. I told you guys all of you guys to never shoot steel. How far away? LOL ask this man.

Wow the ricochet shot his earphones off.

I just realized I have not been to the range since. I normally go once a week. I have gotten packed up a few times and decided it was too hot to go. I sure hope its the heat and being busy that's keeping me away from the range.
Well, the heat does keep traffic down. I don't go til around 11 now, anyone that is going will be done and gone by then. So far anyway. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom