• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I took the crossbow plunge.

Well I just took the Barnett Whitetail II plunge. Walmart went off sell but Amazon had it for $254. I'm hoping my 8 yr old can use it too. I want to get him out with me but don't have a place to let him shoot his 7mm-08 enough to get him comfortable. At least this we can shoot in the backyard. I have a ground blind set up with deer crossing at 30 yards.

You wont regret it.

Well I just took the Barnett Whitetail II plunge. Walmart went off sell but Amazon had it for $254. I'm hoping my 8 yr old can use it too. I want to get him out with me but don't have a place to let him shoot his 7mm-08 enough to get him comfortable. At least this we can shoot in the backyard. I have a ground blind set up with deer crossing at 30 yards.
Outstanding! You'll probably have to co-ck (damn auto sensor) it for him and make sure he keeps those fingers below the hand guard.

Well, I got the broadheads and spent some time getting a good 20 yard zero. That was sooo much easier to do than with a compound. I started with field points and then went to the practice points I got from NAP that simulate the Spitfire flight. Exact same POI as the field points. :thumb:

I said earlier that the elevation cross-hairs in the scope that came with it were evenly spaced so I had no confidence in it. I was wrong. On closer inspection they are graduated for increasing bolt drop. I was only able to shoot at 30 after getting the 20 yard zero, but it was dead on. This is a Barnett scope that they put on this Barnett crossbow and I'm shooting the same Barnett bolt and point weight as came with it. It would make sense they have that scope set up exactly right. We'll see when I can shoot at greater distance.

I'm impressed with this rig. I was thinking budget when I bought it, but I'm trying to figure out how more money would make it better. The trigger is very nice. I haven't put a trigger scale on it, but I've got a pretty educated trigger finger from shooting precision rifles and I think it's right around 3.5lbs and very crisp. I would not mind having it on a rifle. It's also accurate. Shooting off sticks while standing I'm dropping everything into an inch group at 30 yards. I think a 60 yard shot would be very realistic as long as I'm confidant with the range. What's not to like?

If anyone is thinking about getting a good crossbow, I highly recommend taking a very close look at the Barnett Whitetail Hunter II package. You can't go wrong.
dont know anything about crossbows or bows in general but i am wanting to get into bow hunting. I will look this barnett for sure. Any youtube videos you recommend as somewhat of a "tutorial" into crossbows? lol. also. what is the decocker i read about in earlier posts?

dont know anything about crossbows or bows in general but i am wanting to get into bow hunting. I will look this barnett for sure. Any youtube videos you recommend as somewhat of a "tutorial" into crossbows? lol. also. what is the decocker i read about in earlier posts?
I'm barely started in crossbows myself, but the fact I'm already comfortable with it tells you how simple they are. The fact the guy that sold it to me at Bass Pro spent about a half hour teaching me the fundamentals helped a lot.

It's a not a decocker. It's a decocking bolt. The arrows for a crossbow are called bolts.

The best way to unload a crossbow is to shoot it. You obviously don't want to do that with a regular bolt. A decocking bolt is one that has a special tip on it. Mine has a big rubber one that is designed to absorb the shock of impact well. You simply shoot it into the ground a few feet away from your feet.

I checked YouTube for a good video and didn't find one that just got into the basics without a bunch of other crap to sift through.

I'm barely started in crossbows myself, but the fact I'm already comfortable with it tells you how simple they are. The fact the guy that sold it to me at Bass Pro spent about a half hour teaching me the fundamentals helped a lot.

It's a not a decocker. It's a decocking bolt. The arrows for a crossbow are called bolts.

The best way to unload a crossbow is to shoot it. You obviously don't want to do that with a regular bolt. A decocking bolt is one that has a special tip on it. Mine has a big rubber one that is designed to absorb the shock of impact well. You simply shoot it into the ground a few feet away from your feet.

I checked YouTube for a good video and didn't find one that just got into the basics without a bunch of other crap to sift through.
Barnett Whitetail hunter 2 has been ordered! Im excited. $254 on Amazon right now!

I have an excalibur but I prefer my cheap steel force. It is super light and easy to cock at 150 pounds.

forums_equipped_org_ubbthreads_php_df6311f3cdd3c9e7fe1f7344da2ab5f8._.jpg

Back
Top Bottom