• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I typed all of this out then the thread closed before I hit enter. Just wanted to share.

I started out using a recurve,, I bet a lot of guys don't know what a recurve is? lol, but it's a whole different ballgame. Ever sliced up your forearm? It hurts.
I did not start out using a recurve, but I have used one, and at times killed a few deer. It's a lot harder than using a compound. Waiting for the right opportunity requires a lot more patience.
My first compound was a Jennings Woody-a hand-me-down bow from my Father.
image.jpeg

The laquer on the hardwood riser was so shiny that we had to make a fabric cover to keep it from spooking the deer. It had a Kwikee Kwiver on it that was full of Eastin 2117's, tipped with Satellite Aero broadheads.
Heck, it even had one of those flipper rests on it that adhered to the riser. I remember cutting a finger tab from some old leather Dad had lying around.
I sure wish that I still had that bow.

I did not start out using a recurve, but I have used one, and at times killed a few deer. It's a lot harder than using a compound. Waiting for the right opportunity requires a lot more patience.
My first compound was a Jennings Woody-a hand-me-down bow from my Father.
View attachment 915217
The laquer on the hardwood riser was so shiny that we had to make a fabric cover to keep it from spooking the deer. It had a Kwikee Kwiver on it that was full of Eastin 2117's, tipped with Satellite Aero broadheads.
Heck, it even had one of those flipper rests on it that adhered to the riser. I remember cutting a finger tab from some old leather Dad had lying around.
I sure wish that I still had that bow.

Nice old bow! Be careful how you store it, laminate wood will get hot, and dry out destroying the bow! I never killed with a recurve, but I remember practicing with it and the occasional scraping of my inner forearm, ouch!

My first kill with a bow I was using a bear compound (not many options for lefties back then) was one of the proudest days of my hunting career. A button buck stepped out behind a tree, broad side standing 25 yards from my tree, I was shaking so bad I let the arrow go, and shot about 3 feet above his back, well he took off, stopped, and came back to the same spot, broadside, lookin a different direction though, I then let the arrow fly striking him right behind the left shoulder, he ran about 40 yards!

Never sliced, but definitely badly bruised on several occasions. And let's not forget the blood blisters on the fingers, even through a glove.

I wasn't smart enough to get use to gloves, lol. I went all natural. Never used sights on my first bow, I lined up with the arrow, took lots of practice. Later on I got into competitive shooting then upgraded bows, pin sights and a good release.

You know what I hate about bow hunting more than anything? Even more than the yellow jackets and leaves on the trees blocking my view? It never failed, no matter how much planning and watching I did, the best shot opportunities would always come up on the wrong side just out of reach from my maximum swivel point. It's not like switching to lefty with a scoped rifle. You can't shoot a right handed compound bow left handed....and I know as soon as I type this, somebody will post a youtube video of someone that Jimi Hendrixed their right handed bow. Go ahead...I'll show you one of a girl shooting with her toes...always exceptions. :)

Back
Top Bottom