• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I typed all of this out then the thread closed before I hit enter. Just wanted to share.

Always learning from mistakes and everything else.

I may pick up a crossbow and try that one of these years though. I hear they are dang near like shooting a gun nowadays.
i had a bowtech stryker- Loved shooting it, but I hated taking it in the woods. It weighed a ton and was bulky as hell

I'm curious why assumptions are being made about how much someone did or did not practice before heading to the woods? On another note though, for all the people claiming every deer they shoot with a gun drops right where they shot it, I'd love to know what magical caliber/load you guys are using. I've killed more deer than I care to try to count over the last 20 or so years and I can count on one hand how many of those dropped right where I shot them. Two with a shotgun, 1 with a bow, and 1 with a rifle, and none of those 4 were hit in the heart. I've hit several deer in the heart with a rifle and had them run 100+ yds.

I hit high in the lungs just behind the shoulder. I've never had a deer move more than 2-3 steps. I've had several lay there and kick a back foot a few times. I've had a few "bleat" while they bleed out. I've tracked a few deer my fatherinlaw shot...but every one I ever shot dropped including the only one I ever shot on the run (more of a trot)..(spike buck). While that buck was bleeding out, I popped a head shot on a big 2 tone fox squirrel at 150 yards on the other side of a swamp with a Rem 700 .30-06 180gr corelokt. I've always hunted thickets so I always hunted heavy gr bullets. I've never hunted a "field" really...maybe a small clearing but all the scrapes I've ever found to hunt over were always in the thickets so maybe that's all part of it.

You know how much he has practiced and you know he hasn't sighted in his bow? You are good. Maybe, just maybe, he missed. Big ****ing deal. Get over yourself. Everybody misses. Even if its a magical exploding arrow that makes you miss.

"sighted in" lol....There's a lot more to "sighting in" a bow than moving the pins up and down or in and out. nock point, peep sight placement (if applicable), rest adjustments and then arrow building to correct length, weight, fletching...and then how to hold the bow...how to draw the bow...consistency...practice.. If you haven't picked up on the lack of preparation before this first hunt, you haven't been paying much attention. I'm not getting over myself until every hunter that steps in the woods makes it a mission to take every step necessary to hunt as humanely as they can. It's not the "missing" that bothers me. It's the idea of flinging arrows without knowing where they are going to strike that has my hackles up. It's okay to shoot until you hit brown? gut shot? rump shot? Those are misses too. Hunt humanely and accurate or stay home. Otherwise, I will taunt you a second time. Hell, I b*tch about snake killing, you are really surprised I get pissed about pisspoor bow hunting preparation / ethics? I'm all for hunting. I wish I could still hunt. I just feel that every effort to reduce the animals unnecessary suffering should be taken. Besides that, quick humane kills lacking stress/adrenaline/punctured gut...tastes a whole lot better/less gamy.

aaaaaaa
No. You're just the only that can't convey your point tactfully enough for it to be heard over your mouth foaming. Even when people agree with you in general, your tone makes it impossible to pull any pearls of wisdom from the steaming pile of self appointed superiority.
Kinda like how you preach your politics all mouth foamy and with self appointed superiority? okay...I get it. Though...having to be "tactful" to a 40 something year old avid hunter/shooter that should know better...F*** that...but I get ya. I haven't heard much tact from the peanut gallery here on teaching "tact" either btw. It's one of those pot/kettle things. I don't see a need for tact on a lot of subjects. Humane killing of game is tops on the list with animal cruelty, cruelty to children, elderly, disabled people, deadbeat parents etc etc etc ... and in no particular order... F*** tact ..sometimes people need to be told when they are being an ass.

aaaaaaa

Kinda like how you preach your politics all mouth foamy and with self appointed superiority? okay...I get it. Though...having to be "tactful" to a 40 something year old avid hunter/shooter that should know better...F*** that...but I get ya. I haven't heard much tact from the peanut gallery here on teaching "tact" either btw. It's one of those pot/kettle things. I don't see a need for tact on a lot of subjects. Humane killing of game is tops on the list with animal cruelty, cruelty to children, elderly, disabled people, deadbeat parents etc etc etc ... and in no particular order... F*** tact ..sometimes people need to be told when they are being an ass.

You are correct...... You are being an Ass.

aaaaaaa

Says the man that has missed a third of the deer he has shot at with a bow. :pound:

Oh what a relief it is!

Bow hunting is a lot more tedious than gun hunting. It's a skillset that has to be practiced to become successful! But with the addition of crossbows it takes away from that skill somewhat!

Oh what a relief it is!

Bow hunting is a lot more tedious than gun hunting. It's a skillset that has to be practiced to become successful! But with the addition of crossbows it takes away from that skill somewhat!

Yet we hear all the stories of the deer that ran off after being shot with a rifle, never to be seen again.

There are a lot of people that think shooting a group the size of a pie pan at 50 yards with a scoped rifle has it sighted in for hunting.

Yet we hear all the stories of the deer that ran off after being shot with a rifle, never to be seen again.

There are a lot of people that think shooting a group the size of a pie pan at 50 yards with a scoped rifle has it sighted in for hunting.

Yeah you're right, it's a whole different ballgame shooting at a live creature, than punching paper!

Back
Top Bottom