• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I typed all of this out then the thread closed before I hit enter. Just wanted to share.

It's one of those pot/kettle things. ..sometimes people need to be told when they are being an ass.
55964327.jpg

After reading the last few pages I see that some guys have either forgotten, or were not around when we shot looking down the arrow shaft. Remember the finger gloves before releases? What about those rests? Bowhunting isn't even close to the same as it was just 30 years ago. And that's a good thing, IMO, but those who never shot or hunted with the technology of those days has no idea how nice they have it now...I remember when "let off" was introduced on compound bows. 1/3 being misses back then was pretty good for a lot of guys, even those who shot regularly. Deer and targets are way different.

Bowhunting experience for someone who has been doing it for 30-40 years is going to be different than someone younger who has only been at it for 5-10 years. Just because of the technology.

I remember when my Dad would tape a large balloon inside of an old tire and roll it down a small hill and have me shoot at the balloon. It wasn't easy, but still easier than shooting a deer, much of the time.

Practicing from a stand or whichever scenario is your method is one good way to practice.

Just like timing a rifle shot, it helps to know how to stop a deer just as they are stepping into the wheelhouse. If they don't stop, use your own discretion as to whether or not to shoot. The timing had better be good. It is much easier to not shoot than to lose him.

I missed the biggest buck of my life last year with a rifle. I haven't talked about it much because it still sickens me, but I am completely satisfied that I missed and that is way better than to have wounded him and never found him. First deer I have missed in over 10 years.

I still shoot straighter than Bypass Bypass

After reading the last few pages I see that some guys have either forgotten, or were not around when we shot looking down the arrow shaft. Remember the finger gloves before releases? What about those rests? Bowhunting isn't even close to the same as it was just 30 years ago. And that's a good thing, IMO, but those who never shot or hunted with the technology of those days has no idea how nice they have it now...I remember when "let off" was introduced on compound bows. 1/3 being misses back then was pretty good for a lot of guys, even those who shot regularly. Deer and targets are way different.

Bowhunting experience for someone who has been doing it for 30-40 years is going to be different than someone younger who has only been at it for 5-10 years. Just because of the technology.

I remember when my Dad would tape a large balloon inside of an old tire and roll it down a small hill and have me shoot at the balloon. It wasn't easy, but still easier than shooting a deer, much of the time.

Practicing from a stand or whichever scenario is your method is one good way to practice.

Just like timing a rifle shot, it helps to know how to stop a deer just as they are stepping into the wheelhouse. If they don't stop, use your own discretion as to whether or not to shoot. The timing had better be good. It is much easier to not shoot than to lose him.

I missed the biggest buck of my life last year with a rifle. I haven't talked about it much because it still sickens me, but I am completely satisfied that I missed and that is way better than to have wounded him and never found him. First deer I have missed in over 10 years.

I started out using a recurve,, I bet a lot of guys don't know what a recurve is? lol, but it's a whole different ballgame. Ever sliced up your forearm? It hurts.

Reactions: MRH
I started out using a recurve,, I bet a lot of guys don't know what a recurve is? lol, but it's a whole different ballgame. Ever sliced up your forearm? It hurts.

Negative, no sliceage. LOL...I'm sure that was a memorable occasion!
I would like to try long bow. I had one when I was younger and enjoyed shooting it but never took a deer with it. I on!y hunted with it a couple of times. Back then it was difficult to grab that long bow when I had a PSE.

I killed my first deer ever with a re-curve bow and wooden arrows shooting "instinctive". I practiced my ass off all summer long and could drop five arrows into the bull at 20 yards so tight that I started destroying arrows and had to start shooting at multiple bull's eyes.

It's to embarrassing to admit how many deer I missed before collecting my first one.

Never sliced, but definitely badly bruised on several occasions. And let's not forget the blood blisters on the fingers, even through a glove.

Negative, no sliceage. LOL...I'm sure that was a memorable occasion!
I would like to try long bow. I had one when I was younger and enjoyed shooting it but never took a deer with it. I on!y hunted with it a couple of times. Back then it was difficult to grab that long bow when I had a PSE.
I have had a very nice long bow for about ten years. My intent was to get back into practice and hunt. Then I started practicing and got very discouraged. It's definitely not like riding a bicycle. LOL!

i dont think shooting an animal with any arrow/bolt is humane. if your gonna kill one atleast make it quick. i dont hunt for pleasure tho, just the meat. all the other deer I've " harvested" with my 308 fall over within a few feet. 8 pointer this year blew my mind when it ran like 50ft. started using hornady 168gr TAP, now i use hornady gmx so theres no lead touching my meat.

i know it was probly my lack of experience when 1 of the 2 deer i shot with crossbow got a severed spinal cord and was laying there trying to get up, had its rack up like it wanted to get me and it just wasn't right.. No matter how good you are i dont think its possible to get arrows or bolts accurate unless your olympic status, theres too many variables. i could compare it to shooting 1000yrd rifle shooting ( which i also dont have those skills ) but still just not worth it to me. I like using my super clear acog on a g2 recon and its a tack driver for me. To each there own i may be completely wrong.

I killed my first deer ever with a re-curve bow and wooden arrows shooting "instinctive". I practiced my ass off all summer long and could drop five arrows into the bull at 20 yards so tight that I started destroying arrows and had to start shooting at multiple bull's eyes.

It's to embarrassing to admit how many deer I missed before collecting my first one.

Oh yeah once you're dialed in you must avoid shooting your arrows. I love re-curve bows.
I killed the first one I ever took a shot on. Doe at 5 yards. LOL...I missed the next few. LOL!

I have had a very nice long bow for about ten years. My intent was to get back into practice and hunt. Then I started practicing and got very discouraged. It's definitely not like riding a bicycle. LOL!

You got that right. You must commit yourself to it. My older brother bought one last year and has gotten good with it.
If you want to see some good, instinctive shooting with a long bow, check out Byron Ferguson. Of course Fred Bear will always be the man of modern bowhunting, but Byron is pretty dang good.

Back
Top Bottom