• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want to learn to reload

jeepster82

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
61   0
Reaction score
I want to learn so bad, I found a kit at cabelas for 89.99. Would this be a good starter kit? I just want to start out reloading 223 rounds, tell me what I need to do to get started?

First thing is to get a Lyman reloading manual. Read it cover to cover. Then read it again. If you can find a real old Lyman manual get it too. The information in them is updated from time to time. There will probably be somebody near you respond to this thread. Ask them to give you a little hands on demo. Good luck!

Use the search feature in this section. There's several threads covering getting started in hand loading. If you're anything like many of us here, you'll love it. As Gun Guru suggested, read as much as possible. As I've made clear, I'm not a person that really likes reading, but if it has to do with loading, I've read some books and articles multiple times. It's a lot of fun, and very satisfying to know that the round you put together brought down that trophy with a single well placed shot. Ask questions, especially when it comes to safety. Most here love to to share, so there's no such thing as a stupid question. Here's a link to one of the threads below. Good luck, Chuckdog.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?8045-Looking-to-start-reloading...

I was just browsing the Cabelas website and looked at the kit you're considering. I'd spend the extra $$ and get the Turret Kit for $109.99. Unless you really get into high volume loading down the road, this press should be all the average shooter/loader will ever need. I'm not saying the kit will be all you need, far from it, but these presses are great.

Last edited:
YES, read till your eyes pop out then re-read all material again. Practice with an unprimed shell this will help you get an idea on how NOT to seat a bullet. When I started out I crushed the shoulders on several rounds, but with practice you'll learn how to set the bullet depth with out crushing the shoulders. Also get you a bullet puller, ( mine is an impact type ) and good digital caliper, you can make your own OAL ( Overall Lenght ) gauge with a wooden dow rod. It's great to pass the time and make your gun more accurate.

I assume you've started with the .223. Are you loading anything else yet? Any Straight walled handgun cartridges? Just curious, You've picked some great weather to get out and shoot some of your new loads.

Back
Top Bottom