• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ideal Home Defense Carbine?

The compromise is mostly what I oppose. If we're seriously discussing the "ideal" choice, then we shouldn't have to compromise. The only reason I suggested 9mm, is that I don't think it plows through walls quite like 45, but I may be misremembering.

Look at the boxs o truth. I like the test they do
http://www.theboxotruth.com

Look at the boxs o truth. I like the test they do
http://www.theboxotruth.com
I wish I could find a test that I saw a couple of years ago. I think it was on one of the outdoor channel series, maybe tactv. They had several large walls mocked up and spread about 6' apart. Did 5.56, 9mm, 40 & 45, both fmj and hollow points. It was a good demonstration.

Home defense = 00 Buck.

Really a 12 gauge settles the issue rather abruptly and with great authority. Whether you pump it or it self feeds. It is really the artillery of home defense and all others pale in comparison when "effectiveness" is strongly considered.

An AR in any configuration is a decent weapon in the confines of a typical house.

Any firearm discharged (unsuppressed) in the confines of a room will have your ears ringing for hours, don't ask me how I know, but even a .38 special is obnoxious. However, if discharging the weapon to provide self defense, you won't notice it till later when things cool down.

A pistol with good ammo that has a proven level of effectiveness is good too. It does take a bit more training and practice to be proficient with a handgun.

The critical issue is have a means to effectively defend yourself and don't bring a knife, bat or pool cue to a firefight. A .22 LR will create space and allow time to gain ground, hopefully for a better weapon choice. Consider right now, your door is kicked in. How many seconds do you really think you have to employ your security plan? Will you be able to access it? Know that most violent encounters as soon as the victim acknowledges the ability and willingness to use lethal force (a firearm) most criminals break contact to reduce risk of injury and capture. Just having the capability will work most of the time without a shot fired or required.

The Mayor of Powder Springs, I think, I'm not sure but he embraced Bloomberg's MAIG and I contacted him. Of course he is a "2A supporter" and has a shotgun for home defense. He stated he keeps it above the door to the entrance of his home. I politely asked if someone kicks his door in how does he access his defense plan?

No reply after that and communication ceased.

If my door is kicked in my response will be in a second or less and measured in feet per second, any time, any day as I am the first link in the family's security defense plan and I consider it a critical task. Perhaps two seconds if I'm caught off guard but the reply will be swift.

Last edited:
A 12 gauge shotgun's primary drawback is recoil. It's the "artillery" of home defense, yes. The original post was about a home defense weapon for a newbie -- and it might be a female.
The kind of long gun that a 5' 10" adult man can handle is more than most 5' 3" women can handle.
I want to recommend a gun that fits anybody. For a woman who is new to firearms, it should be something she'll actually practice with. Not fire 10 times in one range trip shortly after she buys it, only to put the gun in her closet and NEVER fire it again, because she hates shooting that beast.

Also, a shotgun's minimum barrel length of 18" means it's going to be longer than a carbine which can have as low as a 16" barrel while staying out of NFA classification.

All the suggestions about registered SBRs and suppressors are nonresponsive to the original post. Those are for serious gun lovers with a big budget. New gun owners who just want a basic self-protection tool are not going to spend $2000 and complete pages and pages of paperwork and wait months for ATF approval.
Anything that's covered by the NFA is not a good option.

[Broken External Image]:

Yep, and options, heavy shot, buck, slugs, flash bangs-breaching and bean bags-crowd dispersal only not SD.:boom:

i61.tinypic.com_2hs7uox.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

i61.tinypic.com_34qtsmt.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

A 12 gauge shotgun's primary drawback is recoil. It's the "artillery" of home defense, yes. The original post was about a home defense weapon for a newbie -- and it might be a female.
The kind of long gun that a 5' 10" adult man can handle is more than most 5' 3" women can handle.
I want to recommend a gun that fits anybody. For a woman who is new to firearms, it should be something she'll actually practice with. Not fire 10 times in one range trip shortly after she buys it, only to put the gun in her closet and NEVER fire it again, because she hates shooting that beast.

Also, a shotgun's minimum barrel length of 18" means it's going to be longer than a carbine which can have as low as a 16" barrel while staying out of NFA classification.

All the suggestions about registered SBRs and suppressors are nonresponsive to the original post. Those are for serious gun lovers with a big budget. New gun owners who just want a basic self-protection tool are not going to spend $2000 and complete pages and pages of paperwork and wait months for ATF approval.
So what of the suggestions of :
1: Hi point carbine
2: Kel tec sub2k
3: TNW aero rifle (glock mags)
4: Just right carbine
5: Pistol caliber ar15
6: and for the elitist non NFA the Tavor with 9mm conversion.

All good suggestions, what is your take one each?

There is always the 20 gauge. I learned to shoot it at 9 and was rather successful with it on rabbit and bird. A novice never having shot anything ever, I would strongly challenge anyone to train them to be effective in a 25 yard radius, under pressure and find that a long gun is a lesser consideration.

If an average 9 year old can be trained an adult can as well.

An 18" 20 gauge with a "deer barrel" in a youth stock is dang fine weapon for a novice and easier to train for lead on target than a pistol and does have a pattern after about 8'-10'

Back
Top Bottom