• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

Scenario question...

If I carried at a mall where "no gun" signs are posted, and a gunman starts firing on people; what could happen if I shot the gunman? Would I be prosecuted for having a firearm in a "no gun" zone? Thanks in advance!
Malls are private property and not legal "Off limits" according to Georgia Law. The Mall management could ask you to leave and you must comply or be guilty of trespassing, but until they ask you to leave you have violated no law having the gun on you. So the answer is no, you have violated no law as long as using your weapon did not violate the law(illegal use of deadly force).

Thanks for the clarification. I honestly try not to be stupid or carry into places just as a political statement, but I am carrying in more and more places that are not exactly gun friendly, ie Chipoltle, the mall, goodwill, etc.

Just to clarify, I would NOT be prosecuted? Correct?
m.memegen.com_mo9no1.jpg

Just to clarify, I would NOT be prosecuted? Correct?

There is no crime in Georgia for carrying a gun on private property which the owner has declared to be "gun free" with a couple of exceptions (bars, churches, schools). So there is no crime for which you can be prosecuted.

NOW all that said, there is nothing to prohibit an over zealous prosecutor from prosecuting you for other crimes not directly associated with carrying a gun --reckless endangerment, and so on. Unlikely but possible.

There will be another free GEORGIA WEAPONS LAWS lecture, followed by SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, this Saturday at the Bass Pro in Lawrenceville.
Noon - 2 p.m.
And Bass Pro asked us to come back the following week, April 16, to do it again. They have had a lot of people asking about these seminars.
They're free, and no registration is required. You could call Bass Pro and tell 'em you plan to attend so that they can have the tables and chair set up in the optimal configuration for the group size, but you don't have to commit to anything. Or just show up on the spur of the moment.
Noon- 2 p.m. in the seminar room, located behind the laser rifle arcade game and near the indoor rock climbing wall.

Back
Top Bottom