• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

I think you missed this one Drtybkr he asked If he was OPEN Carrying. That gives reasonable suspicion to investigate and you can be asked for your permit, and you must show it. Other option is Obstruction!!! Don't want to go there. Not saying I agree totally but that is the law.

While openly carrying the license has always been an element of the offense in Georgia law. You can not detain someone for just the gun, there has to be something more. The 4th Amendment requires RS of criminal activity to detain......you can ask but not demand.

Newb question (I havent lived in Georgia long): I have bought a couple of weapons from a local pawn shop with my Texas drivers license (I am and always will be a proud Texan). My TX DL has my Georgia address on it but when I was doing the paper work, I checked the box that said "non resident". The pawn shop guy saw this and told me to go ahead and check the resident box because I was obviously a resident with a DL that had my Georgia address.

I am guessing the answer is no BUUUT I want to check with you guys before looking like a jackass at the probate court: Can I get a GWL?

Last edited:
This thread is a bad idea waiting for a bad idea. Think Ill stick to the official gov sites for laws and an attorney to help me interpret what I need clarification. JMHO

Anyone know the status of this case? I'm curious because I know of some other states don't require you to be a resident.

this either bull or my county's court lied to me. The first things I called about were ffl and gel policies in the county. The lady had to ask a guy who transferred me to another lady that said only my wife could. I was SOL.

This is why I am asking. Or maybe I should just go on over to Richmond county...

Edit: I meant the quote my reference was quoting about military people and their families. Im on the toilet, leave me alone.

To get a GWL you must be a resident and get it in the county in which you live.

Right. I was being slightly sarcastic about the richmond county thing, but still good to know.

Also as far as the resident thing this is the quote I meant to quote:

GeorgiaCarry.org said:
Q: Must I be a Georgia resident to apply?
A:
Yes. Military personnel and their families may apply while stationed in Georgia even though their home of record is elsewhere. This requirement of state residency is being challenged in court by GeorgiaCarry.Org.

Once again, when I called my county's probate court they said my wife would be good, but I would be SOL. What is the exact mandate on this (as I do not know where to look)?

Right. I was being slightly sarcastic about the richmond county thing, but still good to know.

Also as far as the resident thing this is the quote I meant to quote:

Once again, when I called my county's probate court they said my wife would be good, but I would be SOL. What is the exact mandate on this (as I do not know where to look)?

Sorry didn't realize you were military(Thanks!). Check here, as I can't remember the code section off-hand: http://www.gacarry.org/cms/ga-code/

Sorry didn't realize you were military(Thanks!). Check here, as I can't remember the code section off-hand: http://www.gacarry.org/cms/ga-code/

Awesomesauce. Thank you very much, good sir. I will be sure to have this open next time I call the probate court. It annoys me to no end when .gov bureaucrats do not know the rules they are supposed to follow (became a real sore spot in the marines when they told me I was a five year contract instead of the four I had signed up on). Thanks so much again!

ETA: See this is annoying because per the law, that GeorgiaCarry quote is wrong:

BoringGeorgiaLaw said:
(a) Application for weapons carry license or renewal license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county may, on application under oath and on payment of a fee of $30.00, issue a weapons carry license or renewal license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application. Such license or renewal license shall authorize that person to carry any weapon in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile. Applicants shall submit the application for a weapons carry license or renewal license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license or renewal license. An applicant who is not a United States citizen shall provide sufficient personal identifying data, including without limitation his or her place of birth and United States issued alien or admission number, as the Georgia Bureau of Investigation may prescribe by rule or regulation. An applicant who is in nonimmigrant status shall provide proof of his or her qualifications for an exception to the federal firearm prohibition pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y). Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section, including citizenship, but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant such as serial numbers or other identification capable of being used as a de facto registration of firearms owned by the applicant. The Department of Public Safety shall furnish application forms and license forms required by this Code section. The forms shall be furnished to each judge of each probate court within the state at no cost.

Says nothing about the dependents. As explained to me by the probate court, it doesnt apply to dependents (or former military) because, and I quote, "You choose to live there with your spouse." Kind of forking ridiculous but that is what was told to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom