• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Im pretty sure im about to start an ODT fire lol...

Leshaire

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
206   0
Reaction score
So I have been having countless personal carry self defense caliber debates lately with friends here and there. Each round has pretty obvious strengths and weaknesses, and with today's technology, even 380 can be pretty effective. 9mm has obvious weight, size, price, and recoil pros while terminal ballistics typically being the con. 40 is the middle of the road with decent size and weight, decent terminal ballistics, and decent cost. 45 is heavy, large and a bit more money, but will poke holes in just about anything. 10mm has all the velocity and weight you could ask for, with a decent size and weight, but costs an arm and a leg. So without going into detail on all of them, youre getting the point... But what I want to know is, whats up with the 5.7x28 round??
TLDR: 9, 40, 45, 10 are cool but whats up with 5.7 for carry?

5.7 is not very mainstream but has some very unique qualities as I read more and more about it. Let's consider the FBI terminal ballistics report, with respect to cost, weight, and recoil management, that someone posted a week or so ago. The first paragraph specifically points out that the objective of the terminal ballistics in testing is to incapacitate immediately if possible, which is typically cause by pure velocity. However pistol rounds lack the velocity to do much damage. Not the 5.7 though, which typically comes in around 1750+ FPS. The 5.7 round, in a standard load, exits the muzzle with about as much energy as a standard load 9x19, but close to double the speed. While lacking the weight and energy of other pistol calibers, it has some serious upsides. Let's consider them starting at the top...
TLDR: 5.7 is fast yo!

DIMENSIONS
The 5.7x28 round is very small, which more than likely scares off a solid handful of people that think bullet weight is their best friend, cough cough you 45 guys... Being .224&#8243; &#8211; a single thousandth of an inch larger in diameter than a 5.56mm/.223&#8243; rifle round, which IS indeed very small. A small round is of course not ideal for a self defense situation in which immediate incapacitation is the top priority. Nevertheless, the round is long, measuring in at 21.6mm or 0.85" in length, or about four times its width. This puts the center of mass is further back towards the rear of the bullet, in comparison to most pistol calibers that are the opposite. This is relevant to the terminal ballistics in that the round is less capable of penetrating straight through without tumbling, increasing the width of permanent wound channels. This action is very similar to a 5.55/.223" round, which is drastically increases wound channels as mentioned, as well as increases the likeliness of all of the bullet's energy being disposed inside the target, also making it less likely to rip through and kill little Johnny three houses down.
TLDR: 5.7 is small and light, but tumbles and creates nice wound channels regardless.

HYDROSTATIC SHOCK
Disclaimer first and foremost, sure sure to you haters that will inevitable find your way in here, not read everything, and then hate on the paragraph titles and such, the phenomenon of hydrostatic shock is a somewhat controversial factor which some authorities believe to be a significant contributor to a bullet’s ability to rapidly incapacitate an aggressor (i.e. faster than the time it takes for the aggressor to simply bleed out, which is typically the fastest way to incapacitation). I GOT IT. Ok, now that we are past that, be it known that most pistol rounds, being that they lack the proper velocity, do not provide any hydrostatic shock to the target. However, the 5.7 round, at 1750+ FPS, is likely to provide some hydrostatic shock alongside proper penetration to create an added bonus if anything, since we can't technically prove that hydrostatic shock is A: real or B: any more likely to increase the likelihood of faster incapacitation.
TLDR: Hydrostatic shock could be real or a myth, but is an added bonus if anything.

RECOIL
Be it known that I have NOT fired a pistol or any firearm chambered in 5.7x28! However, according to the article I am specifically reading now, and compiled with other articles, the 5.7 round out of a FNH 5.7 pistol is LESS than that of a 9x19 out of a Glock 17. I was blown away when I first read this, due to the energy, velocity, and size of the 5.7 round. However, apparently even in a lighter gun, the 5.7 round produces significantly less recoil than a 9x19 round shot from a similarly sized gun. Articles have quoted it as being about 2/3 the amount of recoil than that of a 9x19 round. Now, I will not leave out the downside, which may or may not be necessarily relevant to recoil, that muzzle flash is significantly greater from the 5.7 round. I know that is not recoil, but important considering the purpose of this is to consider the 5.7 for personal defense and every day carry. Said flash could render this caliber far less useful in low light situations.
TLDR: Recoil is less than that of a 9x19 in a G17.

WEIGHT
The weight of the 5.7 round is nearly half that of a 9x19 round, making it FAR less than a 40, 45, 10mm etc. Conveniently, the FNH 5.7 pistol also weighs in at 23 ounces empty, where even the lightest of polymer guns weigh more, such as the Glock 17 at 25 ounces. Loaded, the 5.7 would weigh a good deal less being that the firearm and ammunition are both lighter.
TLDR: 5.7 gun and ammo are both very light.

COST
This may be the most controversial section on this particular round, even now that prices of ammo are coming back down to normal prices. An email I received just today or yesterday from PSA shows 50 round boxes for 23 and 24 dollars, which is slightly more than that of what I typically see 45 at. So sure the cost of ammo is a bit more, but not 50AE expensive or anything too ridiculous. Being that the FNH 5.7 pistol is the only pistol I know of that shoots this particular round, I will include its price which is typically around $1,000. A thousand bucks for a carry weapon is not cheap either, unless you're rocking a 1911.
TLDR: 5.7 pistol and ammo are not exactly cheap.

So my question to you ODT'ers and your experience/knowledge is; Why is this round not more popular?? Is it that no one else is making pistols to shoot it? Is it that the pistol is a thousand bucks? Is it that everyone here is all about bullet weight and is scared of a 40grn projectile? I am honestly curious. I can't seem to come up with any flaws that stick out like a sore thumb to me.
TLDR: Why isnt the 5.7 more popular for a carry caliber?! Also, you should read more lol.
:pop2:

Last edited:
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Cant find the ammo at Wally world is a major flaw to me, if they do sale it I have never seen it. I like common calibers.

Makes sense, so its really just ammo availability for you? Did it occur that it can be found online nearly 24/7, or are you one of those that has to touch it to buy it haha? I have a friend like that. he wont buy anything online. I dont get it...

Back
Top Bottom