• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm thinking of going the SBR route

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
I'd like to get a short barrel AR -- but am thinking of maybe building my own on a Form 1 with a stock. It avoids present and future legal "gray areas" about pistol braces, or maybe a future outright ban on them because everyone seems to be shouldering them. Remember what happened to bump stocks. What do you guys think... do you think pistol braces will be banned at some point?

How often would the interstate travel issue come for you, where you have to notify BATF in advance if you take your SBR out of state?

Good video here I watched recently: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/short-barreled-rifles-vs-pistol-brace/

Carrying your approved sbr out of state requires filling out a form and waiting for a response, usually received in a week or two. Your approval is good for a year, so you can use it multiple times. SBR laws vary from state to state so make sure you’re good in having it within each state you pass through as well as your destination.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/b...og/how-can-i-take-my-sbr-out-of-state-legally

T
here is also a process to remove your sbr from the atf registry if you change your mind in the future

I don't own an AR pistol anymore. I did my first form 1 about 6 years ago after watching a mrgunsngear YouTube how to video. It's pretty simple. On the ATF website there is a form you can fill out and they will send you free fingerprint cards. Amazon will hook you up with the ink pad and you can roll your own prints. Stand against a blank wall and take your own passport photo.

Never gotten into the travel stuff, but I keep a pistol lower that was factory built as a pistol if I want to travel to another state. Turn around time is a month, give or take, on the paperwork if you efile. Nate @ King of Camo can engrave it for you. There is really no way to lose. Plus, if you start with a lower that was factory assembled as part of a pistol ( pistol on the 4473) atleast as it stands now, you can remove it from the registry and make it back into a pistol, permanently.

I have 2 SBRs and some AR pistols also. Having the SBRs is worth the hassle imo. Not much beats a legit SBR but having the AR pistols allows you to pick up and head out of town to most states with no approval needed.

The out of state travel is a hassle one time a year if you know where you're going ahead of time but once it's done you're good. I've had my SBRs for about 7 years now and take them out to state several times a year. I just submit for travel to AL, TN and FL every year to cover the basics. No one has ever questioned me about them in any capacity (tax stamp or 5320.20 travel approval form).

The 5320.20 will ask for the "transport to" address specifically but you can use any valid address in the state you're travelling to.

Back
Top Bottom