• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Important information concerning IR lasers.

Bioshock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Fellow Traveler
85   0
Reaction score
I thought I would cross post this here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_148/909586_Important_information_concerning_IR_lasers_.html

To all interested parties,

The Department of Homeland Security, the Defense Criminal Investigative Service and the military MCIO’S (NCIS, OSI, CID) have increased efforts to recover stolen military IR lasers due to the danger to public safety inherent in these devices.

There are a lot of misconceptions floating on the internet about these products, especially B.E. Meyers and L-3 Insight products. The fact of the matter is that whether or not you are violating FDA regulations is a moot point. Products like the GLARE MOUT, IZLID, AN/PEQ-15, etc., are only sold to the military and law enforcement agencies (not individual soldiers or officers) because they can be dangerous in untrained hands. These products have a DEMIL Q code which means that any defective units taken out of service must be mutilated to the point of scrap. There is no *LEGAL* way to purchase one of these units because they will never be available through military or law enforcement surplus, e.g. DRMO, LE auctions. The FDA places very strict requirements on the sale and purchase of these items that the manufacturers then pass down to their buyers. Here is an excerpt from an email from B.E. Meyers:

1. Sale authorized by issuance of a direct purchase order from Federal, state, or local government law enforcement agencies only, and;

2. Laser shall not be sold to individual law enforcement personnel, and;

3. If for a contract purchase for law enforcement, that purchaser is acting as an official agent for the law enforcement agency, and;

4. If for a contract purchase for law enforcement, that the qty of units procured by contractor is the same qty ordered by the Govt agency and delivered to the Govt agency, and;

5. Law enforcement agency is provided written notification on a) use of safety interlock plug, b) sighting of IR beam is viewed by user using NV equipment, c) purchaser is to maintain active training program.

There are also other requirements not mentioned here dealing with the proper disposal of the items. One important point is that the FDA variances (exemptions) are not simply for the product itself. The variances are also attached to the buyer. Selling an FDA exempted laser to an improper buyer voids the exemption, thus making the sale illegal. However, like I stated above, the FDA regulations are a moot point because law enforcement is pursuing other charges, such as the sale and receipt of stolen Government property.

To summarize, military lasers that require an FDA variance such as L-3 Insight and B.E. Meyers products are only sold to the military and law enforcement through direct agency purchasing only. They cannot be sold to the public via Government auctions or DRMO and must be completely destroyed when taken out of service. ALL such products that are for sale on internet forums and eBay have been stolen. We have recovered dozens of units and not a single one was "legally” purchased from a retailer as the sellers claimed.

If you purchase one of these lasers and law enforcement finds out, we will recover the item from you and you will be not reimbursed. The device will be traced back to the original Government unit that purchased it and the military MCIO’S may launch an investigation.

Furthermore, buyers and sellers of these devices may be liable to face charges for stealing Government property, selling stolen property, or receiving stolen property. Export regulations also prevent their export because they are ITAR restricted.

My best advice is to steer clear of military lasers offered for sale. Please contact me if you know someone who is in possession of these products. Those who voluntarily contact me to assist in the recovery of these devices or wish to return a device in their possession will not be targeted for investigation by HSI and will be considered good Samaritans helping in the recovery effort.

For those that wish to return an item, please mail it to:

ICE Homeland Security Investigations

Attn: Special Agent WU

1000 2ND AVE Suite 2300

Seattle, WA 98104

You may also contact me at 206-442-1652.

Ah the pretty green lights. Looks like a nice little laser show through a set of nods if you get enough going at the same time. "Wheres that guy shooting at us from?"" Just follow the light back to the weapon." "BTW, turn off your IR illuminator dumbass."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a green laser pointer,is it going to be confiscated by the Laser Police?

by laser police do you mean: the guy from homeland security who sent this?

green laser pointer: I think you are safe,they only want military property.
not the chepo laer we can buy in the open market.

Those lasers are just added weight and a target on your forehead if the enemy has a set of nvgs. Get yourself a tritium front sight post for your AR/M whatever. It will serve you better.

Back
Top Bottom