Inexpensive AR?

Spagett

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
Billion Dollar Director
83   0
Reaction score
So I finally got in to firearms and shooting at exactly the WRONG time (read: right after the election). I didn't do it out of panic or fear - hell, never having owned a gun, I didn't know there was actual panic in the firearms community. Anyway, I've been getting my feet wet with mill surplus and cheaper firearms. I'm not investing a ton of money and won't until I can even tell the difference between a nice gun and a beater.

Sooner rather than later, I plan on graduating to "big boy" guns. That is to say, instead of shopping for Mosins and Hipoint C9s I'll be looking at middle of the road handguns and more modern rifles. I'm no longer a complete noob with firearms but I have 0 experience with the AR platform. When I do decide to buy one, what's the most cost effective way to go / brand to chose?

For my first, I don't care if it's poly, doesn't need be nice, actually beat to crap is fine with me too.

Is it less expensive to piece together components or buy brand name complete?

Any advice is welcomed!

Edit: Don't let my 0 feedback weigh too heavily, I'm not a passerby or a flipper, I just only own 2 guns and am new to the hobby!

Last edited:
If they ever get back in stock I think the PSA M4 is a great starter AR. My first one was a Stag Arms Model 1 which is a great AR as well. ARs are like cars. You don't have to spend a lot of bread to get a good reliable AR and everyone has their preferences on which one to get like Ford/Chevy/Dodge or which one is best like Mercedes or BMW.

You'll do fine with any of the low-end name brand ARs for your first one. You "could" potentially build one cheaper (when stuff is available and prices are back to regular pricing), but you can pick up low-end ARs cheap enough when the inventory returns. This time last year you could have picked up a M&P-15 sport for around $600-700+tax. They'll be back at that price range again or close to it I would bet. Same with PSA complete rifles in the $6-800 range etc.

If they ever get back in stock I think the PSA M4 is a great starter AR.

Unfortunately PSA's website never seems to get updated to reflect what is actually on the shelves.
2013-03-10 13.29.01.jpg

If I WERE to build one, is it possible to do with reasonable amount of knowledge and know-how or is it best left to the pros and people with beacoup experience?

Also, AKs are always a possibility instead but I'm a bit apprehensive of buying a lemon - it seems there are certain variants that are really best to stay away from.

I'm pretty new to ARs also. The options are mind boggling. Here's the though process I went through:

I decided to go with a complete rifle, the cost difference wasn't that much and I knew it was done right.

I did not want a sporter. They're missing forward assist and/or the dust cover. IMO, the cost difference wasn't enough to justify missing parts.

I also decided to buy new. AR's don't depreciate a whole lot so there wasn't a huge cost difference there either. There is a lot of tinkering that can be done with an AR. I didn't want to risk an issue with someone's mistake. Even now, I'd only buy a used AR off of a long time ODT'er with high feedback.

The cheapest complete rifle with all 'stuff' was a Bushmaster Carbon-15. Yep, it's poly. I wound up trading it, but if prices crash I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom