Inexpensive AR?

"Building" a lower is quite easy. I'm by no means handy, but the lower is very simple. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting together an upper and wouldn't recommend it if you're brand new to the platform.

Good thread---I am new to the AR platform, too, although I have a long history of owning rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I really enjoy shooting and would like to get my three boys into the sport when they are old enough (i.e. when their mom says I can). I never really considered an "assault rifle" (said with sarcasm) but the popularity of the 5.56 round has me intrigued. It seems like it is now the standard in terms of defensive rifle platforms. So, I am waiting for the prices to return to Earth and some of those panic ARs go up for sale!

Ok, what am I missing --> Just doing some research on SlickGuns to see what component pricing is like: If I can get a complete lower for $130 and a complete upper with BCG and charging handle for $385.

Not counting any transfer fees I may incur, that's less than $525 in my hands.

Again, I don't know much about ARs so am I missing a component I need? Am I missing something?

PSAs are better than entry level budget rifles. They are fairly new to the game but have quickly built a fine reputation and leapfrogged many of the other lower end brands. Call their store and ask if they will ship one to your FFL here in GA.

Or get an AK. Problem with AKs is that they seem to be selling now for more than the lower end ARs, so there are not any bargains to be had. And my understanding is that the century has raised prices that are now trickling down to us.

Ok, what am I missing --> Just doing some research on SlickGuns to see what component pricing is like: If I can get a complete lower for $130 and a complete upper with BCG and charging handle for $385.

Not counting any transfer fees I may incur, that's less than $525 in my hands.

Again, I don't know much about ARs so am I missing a component I need? Am I missing something?

If the complete lower is actually "complete" for $130 I'd make sure it isn't poly. Poly lowers don't yet have the material strength to hold up for any significant amount of use.

Back
Top Bottom