• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Input on ammo for Tikka 30-06

jeshoffstall

Bear Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
69   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got back from the range with the T3x in 30-06. It shoots sub-moa with Remington 150 gr. core-lokts, but 2" plus groups with Barnes Vor-Tx and even worse with Hornady Superformance. Hoping to make a medium (400 yrd) range deer/elk etc. rifle and would really like it shooting premium ammo.

For those of you that have a Tikka in 30-06, what has been your favorite hunting round?

The target w/2 holes is three shots.

Cleaned the barrel after every shot for the first five, then cleaned every fifth shot.

Do these rifles prefer heavier bullets, or should I be looking at other brands of ammo?

Thanks,
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 7
You just answered your own question, 150 gr
Core Lokts are as accurate as any pricier loads on the market. I've dropped more Whitetail deer in their tracks with that very load than all others I've tried combined. And the price makes it an even better choice.

I used to have a mental block against Core lockts but they just work. They have been insanely accurate in any rifle I've shot them out of and the deer seem to drop faster than when I used Hornady bullets.

If I was already shooting sub-moa with them it would pretty much be a no brainer for me in that particular rifle......... How could you get much better with a factory load?

I will be watching with interest. I have a Tikka 3006 T3 I got with Cabelas with the new model. I ordered some Hornady Superformance 165 SSTs for it so sorry to hear that was not great for you. I shot some of my reloaded Nosler 155 Custom Competition BTHPs and they shot MOA. I noticed that some of my rifle shoot copper bullets well and some do not.

I would check Buds for ammo. They had great pricing last night when I ordered some 260 and 3006 ammo plus the best price on Talley rings for my Tikka.

Try the federal fusion 150 grain. That's my go to factory load for deer hunting. I've had 1 deer run after being shot with it one and it ran about 75 yards and it was because of poor shot placement on my part. If you know anyone that reloads or if you reload try loading up some of the hornady interlock or sst. You'll just about always get better groups with handloads but if you're strictly looking for factory loads and for hunting then fusions are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom