• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Insurance Question

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
275   0
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I feel like I know the answer but I'm slightly worried I could be wrong so I figured I'd ask here.

So last night around 2 I was driving on 285 when I come upon a wrecked car in the middle lane (which was my lane as well.) The car has no lights on and is sideways so there's no reflection from the tail lights or anything. I swerve to miss it and eventually spin out and end up lightly hitting the wall with the back right corner of my car with us facing the wrong way on 285. We then almost got hit head on by a semi, which was terrifying. Anyway, after the semi passes we get out and run to the shoulder and watch the fireworks. I left my lights on to try and warn the next folks coming down the road but my car still gets nailed by someone dodging the other car and the original car gets nailed again as well. I have no idea how many cars were involved in total.

My concern is I just have liability on this car so I need it to be someone else's fault to get some money for this thing. Am I good or should I be worried for any reason? Most of the damage came from someone else hitting my abandoned car.

Here's my car:

2015-08-02 03.28.53.jpg

This was the car that we dodged:

2015-08-02 03.35.36.jpg

I think you will come out looking good. But insurance companies don't use much common sens anymore. Without talking to your adjuster you won't get a 100% answer. My mom was an agent for Alfa for over 20 years. I just asked her about it and she said pretty much the same thing. To ME it should be the fault of the wrecked car blocking your lane. So go ahead an look up the NADA value of your Lincoln cause IF they pay you that will be the amount they pay.

Oh and not to add insult to injury but my wife said "See, nothing good happens after midnight. So go home."

from my personal experience, since you DID NOT make contact with the other car, you are responsible for you hitting the wall....as far as the other cars hitting yours, i don't know.

If I were to write this up I would find the vehicle that you initially swerved to miss at fault( call it unit 1), barring another vehicle that caused them to be there. Subsequently, it would still be the at fault party for the vehicle that hit you. As I would understand it, the insurance provider for that vehicle (unit 1), should be liable for the entirety of the accident. I base this on what you provided and my 11+ years of experience working accidents. As others stated, glad yall were ok. Could've been a nightmare.

from my personal experience, since you DID NOT make contact with the other car, you are responsible for you hitting the wall....as far as the other cars hitting yours, i don't know.
Yeah, it's kinda like how I wiped out in a 96 Grand Am back in 04. I was on a dirt road and dodged a dear. Dodging said dear got me all loose in the dirt and gravel sending me down in a ditch and taking out a cedar tree. The adjuster told me that it's ALWAYS better ( to them) if you just hit the damn dear. Then you can prove the damage wasn't your fault. But as I stated earlier, insurance companies don't make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom