• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Intratec TEC-9

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
PROS-

Appearance- The TEC-9 just looks mean. With a vented and shrouded barrel and a high capacity magazine mounted in front of the grip the TEC-9 is in my opinion one of the coolest looking "assault pistols" that I have ever seen.

Capacity- The TEC-9 can accept 10, 20, 32, and even 50rd magazines. Thats a lot of lead to be throwing from a weapon that is less than 16'' long.

Price- I bought my Tec at a gun show for $180. I have seen them from $150-350 depending on the condition and how many goodies come with it. The original Intratec weapon, the KG-99, is more expensive but it is a higher quality weapon and fires from an open bolt.

Reputation- The TEC-9 is infamous for being used by gangs, drug cartels, and all types of criminals. I absolutely do not condone this kind of behavior by any means but this kind of history makes it an interesting weapon for collectors. The TEC-9 is also one of the most hated weapons of liberals and gun control advocates and that makes me like it even more.

CONS-

Reliability- The TEC-9 is without a dobut the most unreliable weapon I have ever owned. It has failure to feeds, failure to extracts, and light strikes of the firing pin. If you make sure to keep it clean and keep it well lubricated these issues can be minimized but this is really just something to take to the range and make noise. It just is not a very well made weapon.

Accuracy- The TEC-9 doesnt have it. It will put lead on center mass at about 10 yards but it will never be as accurate as a Glock or Beretta. A lot of this could be due to the crappy sights but I think its really just because of poor barrel design. The rifling on most Tecs I have seen is so slight it might as well be a smoothbore.

Usefulness- You cant carry it, it wont fit in your glove box, you cant really plink with it. What are you going to use it for?

CONCLUSION-

The TEC-9 looks cool in your safe or hanging on the wall in your closet and is fairly cheap. Although I would never want to be in a gunfight with one, Id say its worth the $200 just for the "badass" factor.

I have one. It has its reasons for use. Ive yet to have a problem with mine. Ive fired over 500+ rounds down mine with no issues. The feed ramp just needs to be polished and it will run like a champ. I bought it just to piss off the obama gang. Not really a good piece to keep in the car.

Last edited:
I have heard that you can polish the ramp and replace the main spring and it will be much more reliable. Ive also heard that the DC9 is a better gun than the AB-10 which is what I had. I still am not really impressed by this weapon but if I come across another one for a reasonable price I may pick it up to tinker with it. I would love to have an original KG-99 although they are few and far between.

I have heard that you can polish the ramp and replace the main spring and it will be much more reliable. Ive also heard that the DC9 is a better gun than the AB-10 which is what I had. I still am not really impressed by this weapon but if I come across another one for a reasonable price I may pick it up to tinker with it. I would love to have an original KG-99 although they are few and far between.

That they are. I have the post ban ab-10. I just bought it cause it was cheap, looks scary, holds alot of ammo, used by crack dealers and it kinda looks like a mini grease gun. Other than that... its just a paperweight. It is fun to shoot though. I like to bumpfire it. Its one of the few guns my girlfriend will shoot. So like I said... it does have its uses.

If you get bored of it drop me a line. Ill give you what you paid for it. ;)

I love to but unfortuantely mine was stolen a few years ago.

Actually it was "borrowed" by a friend and I just never saw him or the weapon again...

Alright... we took our tec-9 to the range and we got some reloaded ammo... brass casings... and the gun jammed every 2nd bullet.... but.. we get tulla ammo (steel casings) and we can load 100 rds through it with no problem... so if ur shooting your tec 9... go with steel casings

PROS-

Appearance- The TEC-9 just looks mean. With a vented and shrouded barrel and a high capacity magazine mounted in front of the grip the TEC-9 is in my opinion one of the coolest looking "assault pistols" that I have ever seen.

Capacity- The TEC-9 can accept 10, 20, 32, and even 50rd magazines. Thats a lot of lead to be throwing from a weapon that is less than 16'' long.

Price- I bought my Tec at a gun show for $180. I have seen them from $150-350 depending on the condition and how many goodies come with it. The original Intratec weapon, the KG-99, is more expensive but it is a higher quality weapon and fires from an open bolt.

Reputation- The TEC-9 is infamous for being used by gangs, drug cartels, and all types of criminals. I absolutely do not condone this kind of behavior by any means but this kind of history makes it an interesting weapon for collectors. The TEC-9 is also one of the most hated weapons of liberals and gun control advocates and that makes me like it even more.

CONS-

Reliability- The TEC-9 is without a dobut the most unreliable weapon I have ever owned. It has failure to feeds, failure to extracts, and light strikes of the firing pin. If you make sure to keep it clean and keep it well lubricated these issues can be minimized but this is really just something to take to the range and make noise. It just is not a very well made weapon.

Accuracy- The TEC-9 doesnt have it. It will put lead on center mass at about 10 yards but it will never be as accurate as a Glock or Beretta. A lot of this could be due to the crappy sights but I think its really just because of poor barrel design. The rifling on most Tecs I have seen is so slight it might as well be a smoothbore.

Usefulness- You cant carry it, it wont fit in your glove box, you cant really plink with it. What are you going to use it for?

CONCLUSION-

The TEC-9 looks cool in your safe or hanging on the wall in your closet and is fairly cheap. Although I would never want to be in a gunfight with one, Id say its worth the $200 just for the "badass" factor.

buy some heckler and Koch MPK5 sights off gun broker or ebay. you will like your tec 9 a hell of a lot more with those sights.

Back
Top Bottom