• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a 6 foot fence enough?

drc302

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving out of Gwinnett county (thank God) to Hall county Got an acre on Lake Lanier. We are putting a metal fence up in the back yard 6' (pic attached) I have a 105 lb Great Pyrenees, the purpose being to keep her in. We were at the house yesterday working on punch list stuff and walked into the backyard and there were 3 fairly large deer in the back yard. Will this fence be any sort of deterrent to keep them out of the back yard? I'm a little worried if one of them gets over the fence and Bella goes after it I know hooves are sharp and I don't want the dog to get tore up. I don't have a lot of experience with deer but I know a lot of you guys do. Any thoughts on this?
brown-metal-fence-6.jpg

The fence is not up yet, pic is a sample and if it does jump over might be a little different panic with the dog chasing it trying to get back over ???

I wouldn't worry about a deer hurting your Great Pyrenees. Could it happen? Sure. But not very likely.

I've seen deer clear a fence taller than me, but it was just part of there daily routine. I don't think they're going to jump your fence unless you got a tasty garden or something in there.

I have a 4ft chain link fence, and two dogs. The deer travel along the back of our yard, but dont come in, they know by smell that we have dogs and avoid our yard.

We have them in the front yard, and I see them all over the subdivision, but never in my back yard.

Deer have a very keen sense of smell and use that for defense, if you really want to keep them out, but up bags of mothballs, they will avoid that like the plague. I

I have all sorts of stuff the deer love to eat in the front yard, and once I put up the moth ball bags, no more deer destruction.

They can easily jump a 6ft fence, but like others said, should be a very small concern. Deer are fast and will learn the ropes quick. As soon as they hear/smell your dog, they will be long gone. Add a bell to his/her collar if you want to increase those odds. I wouldn’t think a GP would even try anything stupid since they are protectors. Here’s my attack shepherd with a fawn she found in our garden last year.
26851FC2-10F2-4DAF-814E-DB64D50D37D1.jpeg
7A6D8749-AA13-47E9-8D37-42B849E3081F.jpeg
E8C62207-0D42-4D56-A56D-70B483014C37.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom