• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is it even possible to get your child their first vehicle for a few thousand dollars?

A mechanic recently told me "cash for clunkers" virtually wiped out the "beater" market because everyone was turning in good viable (older) cars to be crushed for trade value. Took a lot of good vehicles off the road.
Before this you could get a drivable car for 500-1000. During and after anything that you could title and drive was a minimum of 2k. Maybe occasionally 1500 if it needed tires to get on the road safely.

Before this you could get a drivable car for 500-1000. During and after anything that you could title and drive was a minimum of 2k. Maybe occasionally 1500 if it needed tires to get on the road safely.

Yup. And they were pretty much everywhere. I have bought cars for a few hundred bucks and drove them for years.

Yup. And they were pretty much everywhere. I have bought cars for a few hundred bucks and drove them for years.

My parents bought me a car one time. Early 90's Bonneville. Was a little raggy cosmetically but ran fine for a year and a half until the engine went out (already had 200k+ miles IIRC).

They paid $150 for it, and this was back in 2009 IIRC. Most of the cars I'm seeing in that range now either: don't have titles, don't work, and/or both.

My parents bought me a car one time. Early 90's Bonneville. Was a little raggy cosmetically but ran fine for a year and a half until the engine went out (already had 200k+ miles IIRC).

They paid $150 for it, and this was back in 2009 IIRC. Most of the cars I'm seeing in that range now either: don't have titles, don't work, and/or both.

Not gonna find a driveable car for $150 nowdays

Although in 2005 i snagged a 86 Mazda 323 for $200
One owner ,78K , stack of maintained receipts
Stored inside etc

I spent more on tires and a battery than the car
Also needed a water pump and a distributor shortly after I started driving it

You gotta beat the right place at the right time for that

But I'm telling y'all and I posted several examples earlier
A 92-97 thunderbird or cougar, in good condition , if you shop around , can be had for ~$1000
It will need tires, brakes and a battery like every used car , and ball joints since they wore out quickly , but they are by far THE most car for the least money available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Integra's have very high insurance premiums,and honestly aren't all that safe. I've owned 4 of them in my younger days.

main reason the premiums are high has more to do
with them being one of the top 10 stolen cars

they're quick and small and usually in the hands of
young drivers,so that doesnt help

but they are safe cars. one of the best japans
ever built

A mechanic recently told me "cash for clunkers" virtually wiped out the "beater" market because everyone was turning in good viable (older) cars to be crushed for trade value. Took a lot of good vehicles off the road.

The 'clunkers' program did take a large chunk of the cheap car supply out of the market, but that was in 2009 - 8 years ago. These days there are plenty of good used cars available.

So far the search continues as I wade through the Craigslist scammers with GMAIL accounts in the ads, dealers posting as private sellers and private sellers who tell half truths or just not all of the truth. I pity anyone's child trying to do this alone without getting taken to the cleaners.

Back
Top Bottom